Brake lights stuck

klibxx

Reaction score
I've had this problem for awhile now but within the past few months it's become worse. My taillights are stuck on like I'm riding my brakes. All 3, I unplugged my 3rd brake light because the face plate is now melted due to my lights sticking.

I have all new bulbs, replaced the brake sensor located on the brake pedal (area), the fuse is fine, I've tried tapping and pulling up on the pedal to see if that would help and it didn't, the wires also seem fine connected to the taillights. Also, my cruise control does not work anymore. I've ran out of ideas! I got a ticket for my inspection sticker because of my taillights so I need this fixed asap. Can anyone help? No one seems to have any clue..

I am going to a different chevy dealership in the mornin to see what they say.

PS: I have a 2010 Cobalt LT - Auto

Please help me!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeez, most everything I was going to suggest you already covered. Is there a relay under the hood for them? Can you get them to turn off by pressing or releasing pressure on the pedal sensor?

klibxx

Reaction score
We checked all the fuses under the hood and inside the car. No, when I start my car to when I turn it off they stick. I've literally tried everything to get them to work.

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this problem for awhile now but within the past few months it's become worse. My taillights are stuck on like I'm riding my brakes. All 3, I unplugged my 3rd brake light because the face plate is now melted due to my lights sticking.

I have all new bulbs, replaced the brake sensor located on the brake pedal (area), the fuse is fine, I've tried tapping and pulling up on the pedal to see if that would help and it didn't, the wires also seem fine connected to the taillights. Also, my cruise control does not work anymore. I've ran out of ideas! I got a ticket for my inspection sticker because of my taillights so I need this fixed asap. Can anyone help? No one seems to have any clue..

I am going to a different chevy dealership in the mornin to see what they say.

PS: I have a 2010 Cobalt LT - Auto

Please help me!

HI Klibxx,

I’m very sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this concern with your tail lights staying on, and that it seems to be affecting your cruise control. I see that you mention taking your Cobalt into the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at. However, please feel free to send us a private message if you would like our assistance, or if you would like me to get in contact with your dealership. Definitely keep us all updated on your dealer visit!

Best regards,

Shane M.
GM Customer Care

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy at work had his stuck on with an Honda Accord, little plastic button down on the brake pedal broke, we black taped 2 pennys in place to get it to depress the switch far enough to work normal. No idea if Cobalts have a similar thing but that's where I'd look first.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a clip on the brake pedal sensor that holds it, but OP said they replaced the whole thing.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie