Braked hard and temporary lost power steering?

Justing

Reaction score
The title kinda says it all. I had to brake hard to avoid hitting a deer and it seemed that my power steering was really stiff and the brake became hard to press aftwerward. But I turned off the car and turned it back on and now everything seems to be ok. Any clues as to what happened and/or what I should do?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like 2 separate issues.

Did you get the power steering recall done?

Justing

Reaction score
Yes, my covalt is uptodate on all of the recalls.
I was speaking with a few people and this is what they think....

1. Some how the key got turned.

2. Engine stalled.

3. Some one said that since the abs and powersteering require so much electricity that maybe something got tripped?

Im not a great car guy so i dont know witch one is right or even remotely close to being right.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a manual? I stalled mine on ice messing around a few days ago hitting the brakes to see how slick it was. I could see the same thing happening in a panic situation slamming on the brakes hard enought to lock up the front tires. Stalled engine would also reduce the voltage available for the electric power steering, running car makes about 14 volts, battery only 12 somthing.

I don't even know how power brakes work anymore are they still run off vaccuum. If so stalled engine loss of power brakes.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brakes are still vacuum assist. Usually good for 2-3 full brake pedal strokes before empty.

Justing

Reaction score
Is it a manual? I stalled mine on ice messing around a few days ago hitting the brakes to see how slick it was. I could see the same thing happening in a panic situation slamming on the brakes hard enought to lock up the front tires. Stalled engine would also reduce the voltage available for the electric power steering, running car makes about 14 volts, battery only 12 somthing.

I don't even know how power brakes work anymore are they still run off vaccuum. If so stalled engine loss of power brakes.

Its a automatic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup