Buying an Engine

thurstmw

Reaction score
I need help finding an engine for a Cobalt 2.2 that threw a rod.

The cobalt in question has an Air Check Valve, which I understand means I need to get an engine which has the exhaust manifold drilled and tapped, but don't need one that has an air check valve. Is that correct?

I have been looking mostly at salvage yards and most of the engines do not have an air check valve, but is there a way to know if they are already drilled and tapped without looking at them? (Also how do I tell looking at them)

Is it possible or plausible to drill the exhaust manifold myself?

I have access to a well equipped shop but no more experience than changing oil, replacing struts and wheel bearings. Is it possible to replace the engine myself with a more experienced friend? And how many hours would you expect it to take me? (Could I do it in two 12 hour days?)

Thanks in advance, please let me know if I can provide any more information.

EDIT: I just got a picture of the engine...

fw79zl8.jpg

Does this mean I don't have an Air Check Valve and can purchase any engine?

this thread is my only evidence of that. http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/forum/f16/engine-air-check-without-5697/

Also any advice on where to buy an engine would be appreciated. Kansas/ Colorado area.

Thanks again

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC You should be able to drop in any 05-07 motor. Just keep your exhaust manifold.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just bolted on. You'll want another exhaust manifold gasket, but that should be it. What year is yours?

thurstmw

Reaction score
It's just bolted on. You'll want another exhaust manifold gasket, but that should be it. What year is yours?

Ok thanks. 2006.

Do you have any recommendations on where to buy an engine other than from scrap yards?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais