check engine light went off..is my car okay?

Allie7

Reaction score
I had a check engine light come on for 1 week. Now it is off. Code p0010: Intake cam actuator. It came on 3 days after dealer replaced fuel filter. I filled up my gas tank right after they did so. In 1 week my tank was nearly empty, the light went off. I filled up tank, still off.

do I need to replace my intake cam actuator still or should my car be okay and I can skip replacement?

Thank you! :musik010:

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

car has 96k miles and is 2010 LT, 2.2 L. Maybe should I replace the actuator to be safe? Does the light normally stay on until the problem is resolved or can it turn itself off even though problem still there?

Should I use multimeter to test ohms of actuator?

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd wait, codes clear themselves over a few drive cycles if the problem is corrected.

Allie7

Reaction score
thank you! If it doesn't come back on does that mean my intake cam actuator is okay?

Allie7

Reaction score
if it stays off from now on should i not change the part? but if it comes back back on i should.....kind of thing?

sorry for all the questions. thank you so much!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, I'd look into diagnosing the wiring first. Intermittent problems are rarely mechanical, typically it's a shorted or frayed wire.

Allie7

Reaction score
Thanks, I got your last message after the light had come back on. My husband replaced the intake cam actuator. Sad thing is he'd acted like something didn't go right but yet he said it was done. I'd told him how the bolt in the Dorman part is inferior (according to several amazon reviewers). He used the old bolt but I'm worried something (bolt, other?) may've slipped into the engine via the intake hole. After he replaced the part he left the hood up and was searching the net about my car. He tried to get under but the clearance is low and he tried to buy some ramps but the store was closed.

If there is a bolt or o ring or ? inside my engine, I know I should have it towed. I have no idea if there is or not though. My husband won't say and if I ask he gets upset. If damage is done will my check eng. light come back on? Will I hear loud noises/smell smells? I guess my best bet is to stop driving and call a tow truck to dealer if anything awful happens. Does that sound right?

i guess what i'm getting at is: if there is a bolt/nut/etc. would it have done damage by now? Is it safe to keep driving? Any signals I should look for?

I have to drive to work everyday and money is always tight. Thank you!

p.s. my husband drove my car on the highway after he replaced part. Then I drove my kids to school this morning, and restarted my engine after I got home. Check engine light now off, so hopefully the part fixed that problem.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If something fell into the hole it's possible to could break something, I honestly don't know where that particular hole ends. If he dropped a built down there that's bad, if it was just an O-ring that's not such an issue.

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a check engine light come on for 1 week. Now it is off. Code p0010: Intake cam actuator. It came on 3 days after dealer replaced fuel filter. I filled up my gas tank right after they did so. In 1 week my tank was nearly empty, the light went off. I filled up tank, still off.

do I need to replace my intake cam actuator still or should my car be okay and I can skip replacement?

Thank you! :musik010:

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

car has 96k miles and is 2010 LT, 2.2 L. Maybe should I replace the actuator to be safe? Does the light normally stay on until the problem is resolved or can it turn itself off even though problem still there?

Should I use multimeter to test ohms of actuator?

Hi Allie7,

I’m very sorry to hear that you are having issues with your check engine light coming on. Though it sounds like you reaching out for feedback on how you can take of this concern yourself, please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Also, be sure to keep us updated on the forum!

Best regards,

Shane M.
GM Customer Care

Allie7

Reaction score
Thank you Shane! My husband replaced the intake actuator and the eng. light went off after starting my car up 3x. So far so good. I'm just worried about why my husband seemed concerned after the replacement...to me it seemed like he may've dropped something down the intake hole? But he isn't telling me anything so I guess I'll never know. Hopefully my car will continue to run okay.

Are there any signs I should look for indicating a bolt or washer could have dropped into my intake hole? Is it true an o ring is harmless as it's rubber? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais