Check/have checked your timing chain guides

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but have been working on Cobalts, ION's, HHR's and L Series for years. Done a few Cavaliers and Sunfires too. This week I replaced three timing chains sets on 05 Cobalt, 06 Cobalt and 01 L200. All L61 2.2l, all under 136k. Every one of them had broken guides, the L200 even jumped timing by 3 teeth on the intake cam and was surprisingly still running but with little power. These engines were once cheap and plentiful, but now I have noticed a trend were the 2.2l L61 is not as available in the used parts arena as it once was, and the prices of used engines in skyrocketing. While availability is dwindling. Best advice, check your guides and timing chain components.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not the first time I've heard this. Our chain guides are pretty weak.

Justinw303

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing the timing chain tensioner sometime this summer, how much extra work would it be to replace the guides while I'm there? Keeping in mind I have next to no mechanical experience, and I still haven't been able to psyche myself up for this job, despite saying I'd jump into it when the weather warmed up...

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to remove the chain cover on the right side of the motor, it's quite a bit more work.

Justinw303

Reaction score
Quite a bit? :-/ damn. Might give it a try though. Anything particularly complicated or risky about it, or does it just simply take longer? Keeping in mind I'll be replacing the tensioner the "hard" way, i.e, removing valve cover, etc.

Justinw303

Reaction score
Really? I thought I read up on it some in my Haynes manual and it didn't mention having to remove the engine.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall doing timing chain work on a friend's car but I wasn't there for the whole thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais