Clutch problem

ZapFrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. I have a stage 2 clutch and It was fine for about 13 months. Then today it was acting weird, as soon as I pulled out of the garage, it felt like I had to put the clutch through the floor for it to engage. I drove maybe 3 blocks and I came to a red light. I put it into first, started going. I went to put it into second and i normally use alot of force on the clutch because stage 2's are tough, and the clutch didnt have any weight to it. It felt like I put the pedal through the floorboard. It don't work now, whatsoever. theres no weight. As soon as I slammed the pedal down, I heard plastic snap. I pushed it back home, about a 1/4 mile by myself =( . I took a look under the hood, and I'm not sure about any of this, so bare with me. The master cylinder? should be connected to the firewall. Well, thats what this kid told me. Its not connected, When I have somebody push the clutch in, the black box moves out of the firewall. I'm not sure what to replace.. should I buy a new master cylinder ? or just have somebody bolt it back to the firewall ? I need help please...

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got a picture man? Trying to visualize this makes things difficult lol

ZapFrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol :D I had the car towed to a friends house . but I can get you a picture. What do you want a picture of? the cylinder coming out of the firewall ?

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
omfg this is hilarious. as soon as i read the op I started laughing. you ripped that thing outa the firewall? must've been beating on that thing like hell huh?

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Centric 136.62039 Clutch Master Cylinder New | eBay

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

this the part you seen moving through the firewall?

ZapFrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so. I bought the car used with 110,000 miles on it. I couldn't tell you how hard its been beaten on . And that sorta looks like the peice, it only has 1 wire coming out of it and it it hooks to the front of the transmission .

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so. I bought the car used with 110,000 miles on it. I couldn't tell you how hard its been beaten on . And that sorta looks like the peice, it only has 1 wire coming out of it and it it hooks to the front of the transmission .

you mean hose? leading into the bellhousing?

ZapFrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grrr. I replaced the master cylinder... It wouldn't fit inside and turn into the rivets. I clamped it from the inside and that seemed to work fine. Bled the clutch and was on my way. That same day !! I lost 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear.. wtf ?? Could this be because of the master cylinder ?

ZapFrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
inside of the car, behind the clutch pedal on the backside of the firewall where the master cylinder goes in, theres a metal type pen that goes through the master cylinder to stop it from going through the firewall. also, on the front of the firewall underneath the hood, there is 2 tabs OR a bracket that takes 2 bolts that hold the master cylinder in place... the tabs are broken off and the pen is missing. i bought a new master cylinder from the dealer for $160 and it didnt come with no tabs, bracket, pen, spring nothing.. nothing at all to hold it in place. no dealership will touch this, theres nothing aftermarket for this. alot of people are having this problem and there is no fix for this and the insurance company wont total it out because it's a regular maintance part... wtf !!! anybody have ANY suggestions ?

edit : it's like a pen / rod thing. it's a few inches long, metal rod . if ANYBODY knows anything about this.. please respond.. i haven't had a car in months and im fuggin tired of it .

Last edited:

Darkholis

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Pursuit. Installed a Stage 2 Exedy clutch and a year and a half later, clutch master cylinder went through the firewall.

Got if fixed for 400$. Body shop actually cutted 2 pieces of 1/4 steel plate and bolted them on both sides (one inside and one in the engine bay) Clutch master now renforced with 1/2'' of plate .....considering the original plate is 1/16.

Mike318y

Reaction score
Okay. I have a stage 2 clutch and It was fine for about 13 months. Then today it was acting weird, as soon as I pulled out of the garage, it felt like I had to put the clutch through the floor for it to engage. I drove maybe 3 blocks and I came to a red light. I put it into first, started going. I went to put it into second and i normally use alot of force on the clutch because stage 2's are tough, and the clutch didnt have any weight to it. It felt like I put the pedal through the floorboard. It don't work now, whatsoever. theres no weight. As soon as I slammed the pedal down, I heard plastic snap. I pushed it back home, about a 1/4 mile by myself =( . I took a look under the hood, and I'm not sure about any of this, so bear with me. The master cylinder? should be connected to the firewall. Well, thats what this kid told me. Its not connected, When I have somebody push the clutch in, the black box moves out of the firewall. I'm not sure what to replace.. should I buy a new master cylinder ? or just have somebody bolt it back to the firewall ? I need help please...
I ended up making my own bracket that holds it in drilled the tabs out out my own bolts through there with a bracket holding it in place

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie