Cobalt lt pioneer stereo, i want to add a new head until...help

06balt

Reaction score
im putting a new head unit and system in my 2006 cobalt lt with the pioneer speakers no onstar and i went to best buy asked them for what kinda wireing harness i need and there all like well the one we have is $120 and he said it keeps the door chimes, i dont care about the door chimes so like i was like is there a cheaper one that i could get that doesnt have the chimes and, hes like yeah but its eventually going to fry your cars computer system in it...im not sure what to do i need someones help, i went to a car audio shop and they said that, thats best buys scare to make you buy the more expensive one, he told me if i just got the normal harness it would be fine but im just not sure who to belive and i dont want to fry my cars computer, i just want to keep my nice sounding pioneer speaker system and amp and add my subs it the trunk for alittle more pound, but i just wanted to get someone elses opinion and help. thanks much

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
it wont fry anything i ran a aftermarket HU for quiet some time no problem, the cheaper wiring is what i used

06balt

Reaction score
and it works fine with the stock amp for the pioneer and everything?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
it was a different brand but yeah for awhile i ran on factory amp then moved to another amp cuz i added subs.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just remember the cars dont come with the red acc and you need to get that from the fusebox. dont connect anything to the red wire in the cobalt harness cap it off and just run a wire from the new hu harness straight to the fusebox.

as long as u dont connect anything to that red wire in the cobalt harness then ur fine

06balt

Reaction score
would it be ok if i left the power running to the head unit so theres constant power to the deck?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, i did something like that when i installed a wideband gauge, i powered it through the windshield wiper fuse so constant power when car is on

06balt

Reaction score
yeah, but i put the new head unit in and it seemed fine i turn up the volume no sound, i start my car none of my gauges work, no blinkers, rpms, mph, nothing worked and like the stereo was on but thats it but nothing else works whats wrong?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you connect the red wire in the metra cobalt harness to anything? yank that harness asap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais