Custom intake and CUSTOM airbox mod

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well installed a spectre universal intake today. Kept the stock box, did the snorkel removal, and before you say that does nothing, i cut the entire bottom out of the stock box. I have the k&n stock replacement, so i think that will do almost what a $170 intake will do for $65 and about 30 mins of time. Can't upload pics at the moment, but will do sometime this weekend. Very easy, and def breath better than the muffled stock intake, and regular air box mod since instead of the 3" hole, there is about 1-1/2 sq/ft of opening to suck air. I'm sure someone else has done this. If not, i'm glad to share the news.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ran a AEM intake system. Replaced the air box with a tube and elbow. Stock piping on top. I guess it did a diff but I have long gone gotten rid of it. I'm on a 3 inch now. Def noticeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I almost did the Spectre thing on my LT, right up until I found out it was all plastic. Decided to just chop up the top of the airbox and stick a cone there Got tired of that and bought an AEM CAI. Sounded better after that.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture.php

Here is the piping, i'll pop of the lid in a bit. Idk what kits everyone else got, but 2 peices and its done. I did the basic airbox mod before and it just made it louder at 3k+. After this it is much quieter, and i noticed better throttle response, but i don't think it added much, if any power though.

Last edited:

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U eliminate the lag between the restrictive air induction thru the maze to reach the filter

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/forum/members/jonny_b/albums/after-mods/2800-intake.jpg[/IG]

Here is the piping, i'll pop of the lid in a bit. Idk what kits everyone else got, but 2 peices and its done. I did the basic airbox mod before and it just made it louder at 3k+. After this it is much quieter, and i noticed better throttle response, but i don't think it added much, if any power though.[/QUOTE]
That looks real nice. Poor dirty motor and broken coil pack. What happened there?
[quote="Bass_Waves, post: 155541"]U eliminate the lag between the restrictive air induction thru the maze to reach the filter

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]
To really eliminate throttle lag a tune is needed to turn off PE delay. So much better with it off, it's a night and day difference.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter happened for the dirtiness, and when i changed the plugs when i brought it home i didn't think to take it off before poppint it off and crack. I always had the cover on it until now and just remembered. I'll be at a junkyard for one soon, and will be pulling out the engine bright, superclean, a brush and pressure washer as soo as it gets into the 60's again. Lol

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan.

I was disappointed also when i pulled the cover and noticed how bad it was qith the shiny chrome intake. Eithet way i think the intake will be a dark grey before too long. I don't like the chrome look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson