Drive belt removal

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'd anyone has had trouble reaching the tensioner release hole to remove an install your drive belt ,its almost impossible without loosening engine mounts but I found a video on YouTube about it using a jack an a block of wood works pretty good Lol just be careful how high u go with your jack so u don't break your tensioner , just replaced my alternator this morning

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using a serpentine tool works fine, think you have to go at it from the bottom though.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed my co workers SNAP ON one an i didn't work there is absolutely no clearance to fit one in there although there may be a special GM tool that fits without doing this. Anyways. I'm glad this way worked otherwise I would a been screwed good ol YouTube is a lifesaver some times lol

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

They make an access hole for the removal of the actual tensioner itself but I don't know why they didn't make one to access the tensioner release hole. , dam engineers Lol I thought FORD was bad , other than that it's a pretty easy car to work on I must say

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Harbor Freight one fits down there fine. Though it is a tricky angle.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's who I pull wrenches for FORD an I see tons of engineering flaws lol

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm harbour freight hey? I think that's the one I needed its pretty low profile hey? The snap on. One didn't fit. However. The back yard way worked fine lol uploadfromtaptalk1380127614683.jpg

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well dang! i no longer want to change out my drive belt lol

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. It works but u just have to be careful. , I only did it this way because I didint have access to the proper tool an I need my car road worthy by Friday because I will be traveling with it. For work, mabey just save yourself the trouble an order the tool before hand

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I presume you had that propped against the tensioner? That's one way to get seriously injured, that 2x4 becomes a projectile real easy.

Next time I'm messing around with my engine I'll shoot a picture of how I do it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie