Eaton M62 Oil fill amount Misconception

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On many howto's for supercharging the 2.2/2.4 or even just the how to for replacing the oil in the m62 I have seen many people say you need 2 bottles of oil which is over 8oz's, this is wrong!...And all the arguing in the "how to change your M62 oil thread" just confused me more...SO straight from Eatons website here we are....Hopefully this will help clear the questions and misinformation..perhaps a sticky?
M62oil.png

Oilinfo.png

Source:FAQ for Superchargers

m62oil001.jpg

If your still questioning it...'
sure you can, just don't bust out like you discovered some secret and instantly state that everyone is wrong form what they've been doing just because you are going by a single resource of information that takes into affect, a singular setup. people are spinning these blowers 50% faster than from the factory and that changes alot of dynamics. but instead of you saying "hey check this info out" you busted out just stating everyone is wrong except that one chart.

:lol: "dead wrong" even funnier than you think.. thanks for that

and it doesnt take 8oz
.. that is too much!!

Please show me your data proving they die between 100-125k without an oil change. They are designed and tested for 150k miles and pass with flying colors.. How much oil do you think they loose on a 150k mile test?

Never enter a battle of witts unarmed. :guns:

This site has way to many people that like to spout thier wrong opinions as facts and mislead the unknowing..

lol, I may be wrong..but I def. don't think I am.....you def. don't need 2 bottles to change ur s/c oil....If you overfill the snout then you will build minimal boost if any at all....the actual spec 2.5 fl oz. or around 75ml....the 2 bottles eveyone writes about is for an m90 on a grand prix........I have used 1 whole bottle of the s/c oil before and couldn't get my car to build any boost under full throttle.....When I switched s/c's under warranty and we drained my old one that's when we found they come with around 75 ml of oil from factory.....

you need to fill it with 100ml or 3.4 oz from a completely drained state.. adding 2.5-3 oz would be typical for an oil plug drain because thats what you remove.

You guys are just adding more "windage" frictional losses into your supercharger. It definately wont stop you from making boost.. but it will overheat your oil and push it past the seals

DONT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO ADD MORE THAN THE AMOUNT I SPECIFIED. This is the exact reason i tell people to leave it alone, cause some people get it in their heads that "if some oil is good, more is better" If you add more, your only hurting yourself.

Let me ask this question, what happens if you put 15 Quarts of oil in your cobalt vs. the 6 that it was designed for?

it only gets 100ml (3.4oz) of oil from the factory... thats all it needs for 150,000 miles with no oil changes..

DO NOT FILL UP TO THE HOLE (this leads to very bad things)

this type of misinformation is why i tell everyone to leave it alone!!!!!!

If you recovered 3oz, that is exactly correct, you did not loose any oil

TVS_SS knows what he's talking about people. I'd listen if I were you. ;)

This cracks me up, show me 1 document from GMs "Service Information" that gives you a service intervale, part # of the proper oil or procedure for changing it. There are none. That oil part# if for the older 3.8l superchargers, the m62 we have is filled with a synthetic. Eaton doesn't even recommend changing it, as well as GM, hmmm. Also to fill it to the proper level you need to remove the SC and lay it flat on the bench, then fill it to the bottom of the hole, this will be around 3oz, just FYI.

I e-mailed eaton supercharger info and they told me 3.4-3.5oz. I am going to stick to this; many of you have put 6 oz. in and maybe its working fine for you and thats great, but the rep told me 3.4oz. so thats what i'll put in.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, yea I tried, and had no idea it would blow up, I mean I had the eaton chart and everything yet they still said the sky is green and not blue. w/e there just a craigslist too me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson