ECU Reset

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After removing my intake silencer and dropping in a K&N filter, I would like to reset my ECU to compensate for the increased air flow. What's the proper way to do this? Also I've heard that after a reset, the next *insert distance here* of driving the ECU will adapt to your driving style...so if you drive hard after the reset, more aggressive settings. Opinions?

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you read some bs

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

reset is disconnect battery turn key. hook back up and go on about you business. but this wont make a difference

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got two replies and both of you seem to think it's pointless to do the reset...why may I ask?

Chevy_Guy_Jay

Reaction score
You have to understand how and what the computer operates and does things. The computer does not take into effect your past driving patterns, it takes various readings from all the different sensors like Throttle position, O2 Sensor readings, Cooland and air temp sensors, vehicle load, vehicle speed, mass air flow sensor.....and calculates real time data to continuiously adjust how long the injector dumps fuel into the engine and timing advance/retardation.....
All reseting the computer will do is clear any codes that are stored that have triggered the MIL or Check Engine Light.

Jay

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to add to what jay said, with the adjustments the ecm can only work within the factory parameters. read my sig..

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

to get slightly more specific there are different types of memory. Off the top of my head without looking at my notes there's RAM, ROM, EEPROM. what the ecm does is collects data from all those sensors and that's RAM (Random access memory) compares to the ROM"read only memory" (data tables) and then calculates what it needs to do EEPROM "electronically erasable programmable read only memory" simple version of what the ecm does..

chime in and correct me if i'm wrong i may have switched around one of them.. either way you get the basic idea that it has a set data table that's only so big that gets all the info from the sensors compares to it to get an outcome.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie