Engine Compression issue

TecCrash

Reaction score
HI everyone, I'm new around here, but I ran into an issue that I can't find an answer for searching the forums.... One of our kids has a 2007 LS and they drove it back here from CA with a major miss. We went through the standard diagnosis stuff until we got to compression. Here are the results....

Cyl #1
Dry 175
Wet 210

Cyl #2
Dry 172
Wet 212

Cyl #3
Dry 152
Wet 210

Cyl #4
Dry 70
Wet 100

I guess a couple of questions... How hard is this going to be to pull down, I have the books ordered but they won't be here for a few days... And what is the possiblity of this just being a head gasket??

Thanks for all your help!

TecCrash

2007 Cobalt LS
2.2 / Auto
77K Miles

TecCrash

Reaction score
Thanks! Trying to figure out what happened to begin with and do we trade it off on a different one.... The heads for this thing are EXPENSIVE!

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes they are...

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

#4 has either a valve or SERIOUS ring/piston issue

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

did you perform a leakdown test. find the source of the leak.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

id say maybe the ring but the compression went up across the board

TecCrash

Reaction score
I haven't done a leak down on it, but The oil doesn't have any water in it, and they haven't been going through an abnormal amount either. I'm sure it is either rings or the head itself, I HOPE it is as easy just a blown head gasket. I haven't found squat on these 2.2's having an issue like this so who knows what caused it...

Thansk for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup