front door speaker problems

clflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont take it to a dealer then man. Theyve been known to work with the minimum. Meaning theyll do just enough to fix it...where I live. Take it to a reputable audio shop, actual audio professionals. They might charge you a little more but theyll do it right.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I take it to a dealer they charge around 120.00 hr for labor. I think the factory speaker is around 50.00, add tax and their shop supplies etc and your at 200.00. I read on another site where a guy had his replaced at a dealer and it was 200.00. That's how I came up with the price. When I was a young guy I used to enjoy fixing my cars and I can't count how many repairs I've made on cars over the past 40 years. At almost 58 years old I'm just tired of working on cars and I'm not nearly as patient as when I was young. I can afford to have my cars worked on and don't mind paying a fair price for work done but it seems every time I bring a car in for something the service writer comes walking into the waiting room with his clipboard and I know I'm about to get reamed. Their favorites are your transmission needs flushing, 180.00, your cooling system needs flushing 159.95, you need a new air filter, around 25.00, you really should have your throttle body cleaned 139.95. Geez how about just fixing what I came in for. Oh that "we couldn't find the problem,everything looks okay". I swear these guys have a 500.00 cover charge. I rarely get out for less than that. I may take a look at the speaker myself when it warms up. I'm not crazy about pulling the door panel with the power locks etc. I did see a video on you tube and it looks doable, just kind of a pain. Thanks.
I'm with you on dealer mechanics, I haven't been around nearly as long, but they sure seem like useless vampire bats. They just throw parts at a problem until it goes away.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you need help along the way just let me know. dealerships are over priced. are there any local audio shops?

do you have the base or the 7 speaker pioneer system?

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Dont take it to a dealer then man. Theyve been known to work with the minimum. Meaning theyll do just enough to fix it...where I live. Take it to a reputable audio shop, actual audio professionals. They might charge you a little more but theyll do it right.

probably charge less to be honest

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized I'm having this problem with my Drivers Door Speaker not working..

I read through all the post and not sure if I saw a good resolution.. Is it usually the speaker? wiring? or headunit?

I did notice for the past few weeks that my door chime wasn't working and I assumed it was related to them fixing my ignition switch.. but I a few of the posts on here say that the door chime is played through the drivers side speaker.. so if mine isn't working, that would explain why mine isn't.

I am sure mine isn't under warranty.. so i'm sure i'll have to do this work myself.. I've not taking my interior apart yet.. how difficult is it to take the door panel off?

Thanks for all your help guys!

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the time its the speaker. i would invest in a panel popper... but with that its really easy.

Tmoe41

Reaction score
Any new info?

Just joined the site. Working on girlfriends 2010 LS Coupe. Base stereo. Similar problems to many others. Both front speakers working occasionally - and now niether works and obviously no chimes or turn signal clicks. I removed all interior panels and head unit and could not find anything obvious. I don't mind throwing a set of cheap speakers in but...sounds like that's treating the symptom not the cause. Anyone know of problems with the stock head unit? We are going to sell the car in the next month or two, so don't want to invest much in it - then again I do want it working properly before selling....Also I have heard reports of moisture in connectors - any idea which ones? - now would be a great time to seal them up tight with all the panels off. One final note - she did have the factory replace the AUX IN and do the ignition recall while it was still under warranty. Thanks again.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just swap cheap speakers in there. I mean honestly speakers failing isnt anything that should surprise anyone. The stock ls speakers are going to be the cheapest speakers GM could get a hold of at the time (yes manufactured just for that car but still). Not only that you have to remember when it rains or car wash whatever water gets in the door. I live in NM a desert with very little rain and when working at an audio shop i still saw speakers destroyed by water (probably car washes) so if you live in an area with lots of rain it should be expected the stock speakers wont last. And thats not including blowing the speaker due to too much power or poor quality music.

Moisture in the connectors, a short in the wire, HU issues ect are all possible but pretty rare in comparison to busted speakers

Tmoe41

Reaction score
Both at same time?

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. The weird thing is both speakers quitting at the same time. Hate to spend 50 or 60 bucks on speakers and have them crap out again. I'll probly give it a try anyways and post back if it works. Can't find a short in the wiring so far....Also going to swap passenger for driver speaker (shouldn't matter since both aren't working) but can't hurt to try. I also checked a few wiring connections (no signs of corrosion). Also checked wiring at fuse box and couldn't find anything obvious). I am by no means a great mechanic so could have missed something. One thing is for sure - my 68 is much easier to navigate electrically than this 2010......

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah not really i have this mechanic guide thing though

are the rears working? you could always plug one of those into the front but getting them out to try that probably isnt worth the effort

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais