front end clunk

igonutz

Reaction score
Has anyone had the issue of a clunk in the front end mainly when you go over bumps in the road that dip down. i have had it in to the chevy dealer 6 times and they have replaced the stabilizer links, struts, strut mounts and i still hear the noise, it is driving me nutz. I have an 08.

bhope

Reaction score
Over six visits the dealership should have found the problem. However...... the best way to find a front end problem is with the car up on ramps, you underneath it and someone behind the wheel turning it right and left.

Inspect both right and left sides listening for the sound and excercising caution place your hand on the components most likely to go bad:
- A-arm
- ball joint
- tie rod
- tie rod end

Also take a wrench to the hub bearing. Sometimes they can come loose and cause play that will result in unwanted movement and noise.

Your '08 should not have much wear on it.

The GRAFX Shop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when this happens to both my cobalt and my g5 9normaly every 3-6k kms
its often one or both of the following
control arm bushings
sway bar end links

.... very common issue with the above cars.

--also note if the sound is more inside the car. it may be your steering colume . iv had mine replaced 5 times now.

elcaminokid

Reaction score
I know from experience that its your lower control arm bushing(s). As soon as the first one started to clunk I took it in. They fixed it under warranty, now that the second one is going the warranty is expired and now they they want almost 200 to fix it. So I bought the part and I'm having a vocational school replace it. I'm surprised that your garage hasn't diagnosed it..strange.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
some people are just idiots...and the garage he took it to seems to like hiring them lol

pbass

Reaction score
I had a loose bolt in the front suspension. Tightened it and the clunk went away. It might be worth going around the car yourself and retorquing every suspension bolt. What could it hurt?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais