Front end clunk

donnkesterjr

Reaction score
It just started happening today, out of nowhere. But at low speeds, it very rarely makes any clunks, but as I speed up, it's completely random. Not just a right turn only thing, or an over a bump thing. It just makes clunky noises.

When I got it home & up in the air, I took the wheels off. I didn't notice anything off hand. I checked my Moog front sway links, & they are still greased up fine. Hell, the rubber boots spin like a turntable. :rofl:

But As I was randomly checking certain things, I got to the CV axles. If you grab the shafts & (for lack of a better term) make the jack off motion, are they supposed to move? It's not a WHOLE lot, but they easily move half an inch or so (more so on the passenger side). I haven't really gotten down to the CA bushings or anything yet, I just stopped when I noticed the play in the CV axles.

My tie rod ends have no play whatsoever, and my front sway bar has minimal play. Definately shouldn't be enough to cause this loud of a clunk noise.

Any other areas I should check if that CV Axle play is OK? I still need to check all my CA bushings, so that's on the list.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

After a second check (and complete happenstance), I think I figured it out. I'm going to lock up shop for the night & check it again tomorrow.

I used the front sway bar to pull my slightly overweight ass up & noticed it knock. I checked the nuts on the end of the link that actually holds the sway bar & it was JUUUUST loose enough to allow it to slide a bit, causing a clunk. I tightened it all back up, so it should be good to go. I'm going to leave it up on stands & give it another thorough check tomorrow when it's a little brighter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais