Front wheel area humming / roaring noise

norm03s

Reaction score
2009 Cobalt 4 door non ABS plain Jane 2.2L auto. 58K. Make’s a loud noise that sounds like a tire with the tread separating, moved the tires front to back no change. From the beginning, determined noise was from right front wheel so I replaced the bearing yesterday after the previous first step but that didn't fix the problem. Loud humming noise from front wheel or in that area, symptoms are; a loud humming noise at full song by 30 MPH from the passenger side (right hand) front wheel area. I have a sense of vibration but the steering wheel does not shake or vibrate. Bearing replacement didn't change the noise a bit, If I whip the wheel to the right noise subsides if to the left noise gets a little louder. The car drives straight, no clicking like a bad Constant Velocity Joint when turning either way. At speed (30MPH) I put it in neutral and there is no change, noise is still there while coasting, applying the brakes while coasting in neutral or in gear just slows the car doesn’t cause the noise to change.
Is there another bearing inboard on that side at the transaxle?
Don't know front wheel drive that well.

Rmoore006

Reaction score
I know that you had this problem awhile ago, but did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the similar problem with mine, but the bearings don't have any give to them so I do not think that the bearings are the problem.

norm03s

Reaction score
Sorry so late, it turned out to be a Front wheel bearing, easily replaced, good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson