head unit

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with an 06 the chime module box isn't needed. DIC is separate from the stereo regardless of yr cobalt... for an 06 it would be more cost effective to get a new radio then mess with an aux input module. as far as outputs go it doesn't matter if it has any preouts. with the cheap harness you use the internal amp in the radio and it only has 4... but the stock amp takes the 4 inputs from the radio and separates it into the 7 different speakers (its a six channel amp actually but how it works it has 8 outputs)

SRH

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I take it more than four channels is really only useful if you don't use an OEM amp?
So are you saying I wouldn't lose anything in an 06 by replacing the stock head unit (as far as existing functionality)? I'm still seeing some disagreement on this in different forums!

Either way, I think I probably will be taking your advice and go with a new head unit.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the "extra channels" your talking about are only available if you have after market amps. the one in our cars is pretty simple in comparison to whats out there. and if you don't believe me on functionality then take the radio out and see what happens. the chimes dic everything will be there as long as ur cobalt is an 06

SRH

Reaction score
Yeah, I pulled the fuse to the radio and still get chimes and DIC. Crutchfield apparently has that wrong.
As far as a new head unit goes, I've also heard different things as to whether or not I need a separate adapter. Would the existing hardware work for mounting most after market units? Ideally I could just get by with buying the head unit and whatever wiring harness is necessary.

Thanks again,
SRH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso