Headlight/fog light all-on mod

johnvosh

Reaction score
New to the forum. Have a 2010 Cobalt LT XFE, loaded, 2 door, 5 speed, silver. Only things the car doesn't have is chrome mirror's/door handles, mud flaps, leather, remote start. 3,800 KM's on it right now and average 30 MPG city/highway mixed.

Looking for a write-up for how to make your fog lights stay on when you switch to high beams. I know this could be done on the '03+ Chevy/GMC pickup's. The lights aren't too bad, but would like the option of having the fog lights on with my high beams.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
hmmm i would wired them directly into the main headlight harness like you would if you had the gen 3 halo lights

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know in new hamshire . its a law your foglights need to shut off when you turn you highbeams on . one way to get around it would be rewire them

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
that i wouldnt have known, but you could probably get away with it, you could wire them up to the main headlight harness but put a switch in the middle of the circuit so you could flip them off if you get pulled over and tell the cop he was seeing thing and ask him if he was drinking this evening haha

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that needs a how to !!!!!!! . but wont do any good seeing that im the only cobalt in NH with halo headlights .

johnvosh

Reaction score
Hi-fog on at the same time.
For some reason GM decided that when your high beams are on, your fog lights don't need to be(actually i believe this is a law) . Well I like my fog lights on adding more light. With the hi beams on adding a lot of light, then the fog lights on adding more light can't be a bad thing right?

To do this you will need to connect the 85 pin of the fog lights to the 85 pin of the hi beams. Make sure that the "bottle cap (or striped end)" is going towards the hi beam relay. Again you can either wrap the wire around the pin or push it into the hole that the pin goes into. If you are doing the lows plus the fogs it can be a little tight on the 85 pin of the hi beam pin. For this I wrapped one diode around the pin and the other got pushed into the hole with the pin(i pushed both into the slot...they fit you just need to push down hard on the relay) . You will still have control of your fog lights on low by switch but by doing this the fog lights will always be on with hi beams.

All you need is a set of diodes that you can get from your local Radio Shack. The part number that I used was 1N4004. I have read that 4001,4002,4003 and 4004 will all work

This is what the mod is for the pickups. Do you think it would on the Cobalt's as well?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
thats what i was talking about except teh hi beam wiring and the low beam wiring meet in the same connector

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson