Heater Core Cover Removal 06 LS

plasticookie

Reaction score
I have been smelling coolant when the heat is on, so I decided to take out the heater core before it gets too cold or before I pass out while driving and get a penalty called for light pole targeting. Anyways, took the whole dash out, which wasted three hours of my life :chair:. Finally looked up the "autozone repair guide" which says:

21. Remove the heater core cover heat stakes with a small chisel.
22. Loosen the nut that is behind the fuel line bracket and remove the stud from the dash panel at the heater hoses.

*NOTE*
Make certain that all of the heater core cover screws are removed before attempting to remove the heater core cover.

I broke all of the heater core cover stakes will a chisel and loosened clips but it still won't come down. It still feels bolted in or something. I'm stumped. If anyone has had any experience changing one of these, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not done it on a cobalt yet. Did it on a VW. In know heater cores are a PITA to do. I'll look into the Haynes manual I got for free later tonight.

plasticookie

Reaction score
It's definitely a pain in the backside. It's encouraging knowing that ill get to put the whole dash back in when I get it finished. Early Christmas for me!

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving without heat is the worst. No AC is fine. Heat is a no no

mfhawley

Reaction score
Did you figure it out? I'm doing the same thing and stuck on the same part. I think I found the nut it is taking about but can't get into the deep, narrow hole its in.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it. I looked into it and its impossible. Chisel = cutting. Dremel = cutting. Lol

mfhawley

Reaction score
So you just cut the hell out of it and got it open? Did it ever go back together?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll check the book tonight when I get home to see how GM does it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup