Help help help 2010 Chevy cobalt

Kara Summers

Reaction score
Hopefully, someone here can help me.
My Problem:
2010 Chevy Cobalt 4 door.. Plain Jane.
My husband left his key turned on. Of course dead battery.
He gets it jumped, takes off to drive, and it won't shift out of 1st gear, check engine light popped on.
From what I've gathered it's the Transmission Control Module?
Has anyone ever had this happen?
I've looked up the part and it's not priced too bad but, is this something we can do ourselves? I've read something about it needs programmed or something... HELP ME PLEASE.!!! Car was perfectly fine before battery incident. And if you have any other suggestions on what this could possibly be... Help!!!!!!

esox07

Reaction score
Kara: My wife drives a 2009 and my daughter has a 2007. I am not a cobalt expert but they are not much different than most vehicles in most regards.

What I would do first is disconnect the battery from the car. Then FULLY charge it up and reconnect it. This would solve two possible problems. First, it would ensure the battery is delivering a full 12V to the system and second, and most important, it would force your car computers (TCM) to "reboot" and hopefully solve the problem with the transmission.

If it doesn't work, you might still want to have the battery tested. Completely draining it, may have damaged it and again, even after a full charge, it may be delivering unstable power.

If it doesn't work, at least you won't be out any money. Just a little time.

Kara Summers

Reaction score
Esox07, thank you for replying. We disconnected the battery for an hour or so and then reconnected it. And that seemed to be the fix. It's up and running again...

Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson