High end amp

hockeyplaya

Reaction score
I have 2 kenwood 12's in my car with a 350 kenwood amp, the subs are up to par but the amp can't fulfill my needs, I need something better. What is a high end amp that ranges between 100-250$?

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah 250 for a high end amp is pretty low, even a used one. try to find a mono amp to power the subs D class preferably. What you are going to want to look for is the rms rating of the amp, try to find something rated at 300-500 watts rms to power them.

Last edited:

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
define high end? if your talking about the party pack setup then i wouldnt put too much more power on the subs they arent big at all

my definition of high end is the mcintosh amp i have for my tweeters. 60wX2 for $800 retail

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah opt for a higher powered amp but at 8 ohms each I would wire them in parallel to get it down to 4 ohms and again the mono amp. options in canada from bestbuy for examples; Alpine 1-Channel Amplifier (MRP-M1000) : Mono Subwoofer Amps - Best Buy Canada
Sony Xplod ZZR Series Car Amplifier (XMZZR3301) : Mono Subwoofer Amps - Best Buy Canada
mind you the sony is a lower end amp, but it would put more power to the subs. Just make sure that you have the wiring needed to run a more powerful amp.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to be clear... the party pack has a 350w peak amp so 175w rms, plus its running at half power so u end up with at the most an awesome 87.5w rms. (most stereo internal amplifiers are from 68-88w rms)

even at 4 ohms (again half power) that alpine makes 500w rms. sony is more realistic at 330w rms but lets be honest here.... there isn't really an easy way to get that setup "louder"

Assuming the wire you have is sufficient, If you get a 200w rms amplfier your more then doubling the current power that you have now. Don't get me wrong that would get it louder but id guess maybe 50% louder not double the current volume. Problem is id bet that 200w rms would turn those subs into a slow blow fuse. Depending on how you treat it is how long they last. be easy and get the same sound you have now and your looking at a year maybe more. if you really truly expect a difference in sound then you could easily blow them in a few days (hopefully you don't drive very long)

At the end of the day the kenwood party pack is sub entry level garbage and if you truly want more bass then the only 2 options are you spend 100-250 on a new amp thats properly sized but wont give you the bass your looking for and is too small to re-use on anything quality or you spend the 100-250 on an actual big amp and either blow the subs or burn the wire

Sorry but the hard truth is if you want to be louder and you dont want to waste money, your going to need to think of it as everything you have needs to be replaced at some time and plan your upgrades like that

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
emperor is correct in that you have an entry level setup, If I were you I would be looking to a decent dual voice coilover setup if you are looking for a compact setup or opt for a better single voice coilover setup, I am running a single 12" alpine type s in my car which sounds pretty decent when powered by my older apline v power amp, I am putting 500 watts peak and occasionally I will swap it for my dual 10' panasonics with same amp when I want more bass. Either way though you will want to upgrade if you want more bass from the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup