Hollow Clunking Noise When wheel is Turned??

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi im greg i have a 2006 LS cobalt recently i have been noticing when i turn my wheel either way i can hear a low hollow clunking noise?? mostly when i turning at low speeds like parking and pulling out?? anyone have this issue?? im thinking its the steering rack??

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a CV joint to me. Heres a test, find a big open parking lot, turn your wheel all the way to lock and drive around in a circle slowly, do it the other direction too. Hell you can likely walk next to the car while its moving to track down the noise.

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in a performance/service shop. another thing make sure your springs are in tact and seated correctly in the perch. also check the steering shaft coupler for play. it's on the intermediate shaft at the end of your steering column where it meets the rack. sorta like a u-joint. the pinch bolt below it should be torqued to 35 ft-lbs. they do loosen sometimes.

Last edited:

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you're saying the int. shaft coupler. it's a common problem on these cars. they're about 110 bucks dealer part I haven't found aftermarket. it's a bitch to replace.

bryson87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the intermediate shaft its self is whats messed up. also for the op you DONT have to replace it, all it will do is pop. Its a problem with all gm cars trucks and suv's. if you do decide to replace it. take and put the steering wheel where it cant turn once you line up the bolt so u can get to it. take the bottom bolt out. then go under the dash. you can turn the wheel to get to the bolt BUT make sure you rember which way you turned it and once you got it in the position lock the steering wheel again so it dont turn. change shaft. might have to wiggle the wheel a lil to slide back on. the reason for not wanting the wheel to turn is so u dont **** up the alignment/ clock spring. if you need anymore help just pm me. I am a gm tech

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais