How to install a rear tow hook

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright so I forgot to take a picture of the tools needed but basically you need:
a drill with metal cutting bits in various sized up to 7/16" (I would recommend one size larger as well 25/64")
motor oil (to lubricate your drill bits so they dont break and/or start fires)
a flat blade screwdriver
a small sharp blade (I used a leatherman)

So first you get a package from Powell Motorsports
Hook1.jpg

Open it to find these pieces inside
Hook2.jpg

I went out and bought some 2" grade-5 bolts because the supplied 1" bolts would require bumper facia modification to make the plate fit thru the bumper
Hook3.jpg

Next you need a spacer to pull the hook away from the bumper, I used a 5/8" nut
Hook4.jpg

Here's the hardware assembled
Hook5.jpg

Pull the grill off the passenger side of the bumper, it takes a little persuasion from a screw driver
Hook6.jpg

Mock up where you want it
Hook7.jpg

Mark it, I used a map marker from work but a generic sharpie would work too
Hook8.jpg

Drill em out, start small I do mean small. I started at 1/16" and worked up to 25/64", using about every 3rd bit. Go slow, you should have it going fast enough that it wont get stuck but no faster. I bent/broke a drill bit going too fast. Also dip your bits into a small amount of motor oil every so often to keep them from heating up as quickly.

Once you get done drilling it'll look like this
Hook9.jpg

Now drop your bolts in
Hook10.jpg

Then one at a time put your spacers in on top of the mount
Hook11.jpg

Tighten everything up
Hook12.jpg

Now take your grill and place it infront of the mount and figure out the location of the hole you need to cut
Hook13.jpg

I marked mine with the same marker and cut it with my leatherman, dont use a dremel as it just frays the plastic and doesnt get clean cuts. Plus this stuff is soft plastic.
Hook14.jpg

Hook15.jpg

Slip it back over your base plate and clip it in
Hook16.jpg

Insert the supplied grade-8 bolt with anti-seize
Hook17.jpg

And thats it
Hook18.jpg

I'd like to thank John at Powell Motorsports for his exceptional customer service and well made product.

EDIT: I have been told that the washers are supposed to go on the topside up next to the bolt head. I will be fixing that today.

Last edited:

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet...i'd get a solid one god knows what that thing is gonna do to the paint on your lip. just saying. shit looks hot though!

those are grade 8 bolts, no?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sweet...i'd get a solid one god knows what that thing is gonna do to the paint on your lip. just saying. shit looks hot though!

those are grade 8 bolts, no?
I'm going to be adding a couple rubber grommets to the pivot point to seal it and to keep it off the bumper. Though a solid one might be better for the rear idk. I like how it looks this way, plus its still functional.

The ones on the mount are grade5 since there's 3 of em, you could go with grade8 but I really don't think that's necessary. The pivot bolt is grade8 though.

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to make that work on the balt. i have some ideas running through my head. if i ever get slammed i'd love to drag it everywhere.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that a fabric belt attached to a ring? Got a link to the actual product?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson