How to paint lower TC grille insert

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted two different lower grille inserts for the TC. I've been lazy and didn't post up a how to on it. I am doing this all from memory from over a week ago and i'm drunk it's that simple.

First remove the grille from the bumper.

On the back there are four metal clips on the bottom and two on the top. they remind me of the alligator paper clips with out the pinch pins.
images

The easiest way to get them off is to simply pry them off towards the rear with a flat tip screw driver. They are reusable so pop them off and don't worry about messing them up. they all can be removed from the back but the upper two are easier from the front through the grille. once all clips are removed then push the grille insert to the front of the vehicle. while you do this press down slightly in front of the bottom of the grille if that makes sense.

after you remove the grille insert rinse it off. I prefer to NOT use soaps b/c they leave an oil residue. so rinse it off and wipe it with a paper towel and rinse agian. let it dry or do like I did and use the wife's hair dryer, I'm impatient.

next step is optional, dont argue with me I did it both ways and the out was exactly the same! But you must you use a plastic primer. I sanded the black one with 400 grit sand paper and red one I didn't.

next, rinse off, wipe it and dry.

then I used a plastic primer. I only sprayed two light coats. allow to dry, I set mine in the sun, ~110* with no wind. (do not set in the sun outside with wind. wind will blow dirt and other foreign objects into the wet paints.)

2w7lopc.jpg

2k0k6a.jpg

I used gloss black, sanded with primer no pics off vehicle
j0jzvt.jpg

I used gloss red, no sanding with primer

301lywx.jpg

I did not use clear on either and they have both held up to weather of ~115 and rains.

Now installation.

with metal clips removed, push the grille into the FMIC opening. once in place all you have left to do is to slide the metal clips on the plastic tabs. and boom you are done.

This is what each looks like installed on Black TC.

s1457a.jpg

351y22s.jpg

2gsl3r8.jpg

34gkdh5.jpg

As a bonus I did my rear grille inserts at the same time. Also used same paint procedures to paint bowties and upper grille.
6s3l2s.jpg

35048jl.jpg

n33g9l.jpg

1zbs55y.jpg

Last edited:

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well on my 09 SS/TC it is black or w/e darker blackish color it comes with stock, I think painting them will be happening soon.

mine were black stock then faded to dull gray(reason for paint).. are you going to do yours black or color matched?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais