How to Remove Grilles/painting Pontiac G5 Base model Bumper

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tools Need: windex/Paint thinner, 3/4 socket,Pry bar,Phillips head screw driver, Krylon Fusion,Masking paper aka rolling stones mag lol.
Ease of Install: Easy
Time: 4 hours (its all about taking your time)Paintwork is 90 percent prep-work and 10 percent paint skills
Tools:
G5GrillProject037.jpg

Here's are B4, A dark grey
G5GrillProject014.jpg

G5GrillProject022-1.jpg

To remove the grill take your pry bar in my case a painters Knife and carefully pop the tabs out from the body.
G5GrillProject015.jpg

After tabs pushed, grilles are now out!!

webcopy.jpg

Now the Main grille...Pop the hood and get out thats handy dandy painter Knife for these guys circle in red the arrow points to the others two

grill001-1.jpg

And do it like so to all 4...

grill002.jpg

ok..now go back under the car and unscrew these guys(1 left 1 right) This is holding the grill after the tabs from above are removed.

G5GrillProject029.jpg

Look back at the above picture see the yellow tabs, once the grill assembly is removed, push these out to seperate your painted trim from the grill...

here is our grilles removed

G5GrillProject030.jpg

Now we prep the grilles for paint,VERY IMPORTANT TO CLEAN THE SURFACE!!! use a windex or paint thinner watered down depending on how dirty they are :evil: (I also used an air compressor with a blowing tool to speed up the drying process from cleaning :mrgreen: )

G5GrillProject032.jpg

Now we mask the main grill so we just paint the grill and not the entire thing :roll: unless you want to...

G5GrillProject033.jpg

when painting use even clean sweeps..DO NOT OVER SPRAY! or you will have paint runs! I did three coats with 30mins after the first coat and 15mins after that, Krylon fusion requires about 7 days before its totally chip resistant, so drive with out the grills or drive safely(slow and no highways lol)...after that, now just reverse the steps to re-install and this is the finished product :mrgreen:

G5GrillProject056.jpg

G5GrillProject055.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais