Intercooler, Correct me if I'm wrong

AAS G5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read a bunch of posts stated that an intercooler has nothing to do with Horsepower or should I say it wont add HP.
OK if the air is cooler after going through the heat exchanger the engine will make more HP than before. Its the same Idea as a CAI, cooler air make more power. So why do they all say HE's dont add power? Or why even add one if thats what you believe?

A supercharger heats the air as it compresses it so the HE is supposed to help cool it back down. If you add a second cooler or a dual pass the air should be even cooler than before. Hence my thought of making more power. Now I'm saying huge amounts but it should be an increase.

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its very complicated, intercoolers dont add power, more h/e dont add power, they just help make safer power...i think thats the best way i can describe it, with lower IAT2's, you have lower temps in the combustion chamber, lower EGT's, all around safer running engine, but also, lower IAT2's(whcih is temp after the charged air has been cooled) means you can now run more timing. same reason running race gas wont add power, just helpes make safer power, the higher the octane, the colder the fuel, thus the more boost u can run and the more timing you can add...its about about getting it cold, you want low EGT's in the end...also e85 is a cold fuel, which is why converting to it allows people to run so much more timing and boost on it, bc of how cold the fuel is, its the equivalent to 100-105octane...hope that wasnt confusing, im not really ontop of my game right now, been sick past 2 days

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the higher octane in gas is the more colder it is? That's the only difference?

cooler gas resists knock, but i didnt want to get into that...so the more knock resistance you have, the more tming you can run, the safer is it to run more boost, which is part of why you dont use 87 on a boosted engine, not enough knock resistance...

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:p too lazy to explain...not reallt colder bc there is technically no such thing as something being cold....just "absence of heat"...but the higher octane resistst detination, so require more heat to ignite...

AAS G5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But with out the HE you wouldnt be able to add more timing so you wouldnt make more power. I understand what people are stating but if you take out the HE the engine explodes from heat/predetonation in the cylinder. So you cant make the power without it and have an engine live very long. Plus with knock sensors pulling timing you would make less power. Hence my feelin that they do somewhat add power at some point depending how you look at it.

Last edited:

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a intercooler is not a power adder, its a supporting mod, it supports more power, engine wont explode from non intercooled systems, you have have to watch the temps, and run low boost, which is why some kits can get away with running 5-6psi non intercooled...

AAS G5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you werent feeling well. I understand the octane I have raced snowmobiles, gocarts, cars if your cumbustion chamber gets too hot or compression is too high the fuel detonates before its supposed to its called Knock whichis why people watch the KR. THe higher the octane the more resistent the fuel is to ignite. Which is why high compression engines require hi octane fuel. BUT you even said it supports more power hence why I say and Intercooled car can make more power than a non intercooled car I know you have to do the tuning and such. I know turbos, superchargers, nitrous, propane injection, etc. are power adders.

I'm not new to the combustion engine and have built a few small ones and modded quite a few engines in my almost 40 years. I totally understand what your saying Juan. I guess to me anything that allows me to add cooler air which is denser and allows me to advance my timing to make more power is (adding power).

I know there are none intercooled autos and they live just fine but what I'm saying there is if you tried to run that car like one with an intercooler it wouldnt live long.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson