Intercooler/Heat Exchanger General Information

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thiought This Might Be Useful to newbs, i founded it interesting well here it is

and of course any guests viewing feel free to sign up here

Please Correct Anything you feel is wrong, or would like to add anything

Q: Difference Between Heat Exchangers/Intercoolers

An intercooler is a heat exchanger. That means there are two or more fluids that don't physically touch each other but a transfer heat or energy takes place between them. Turbo Regals made in 1986/87, Turbo TAs, GMC Syclones and Typhoons all came with intercoolers to cool down the hot compressed air coming from the turbocharger. Turbo Regals and Turbo TAs use outside air as the cooling media; Syclones and Typhoons use water. Turbo Regals made in 1985 and before did not have intercoolers as original equipment.

At wide open throttle and full boost the hot compressed air coming from a turbocharger is probably between 250 and 350 deg F depending on the particular turbo, boost pressure, outside air temperature, etc.. We want to cool it down, which reduces its volume so we can pack more air molecules into the cylinders and reduce the engine's likelihood of detonation.

How does an intercooler work? Hot air from the turbo flows through tubes inside the intercooler. The turbo air transfers heat to the tubes, warming the tubes and cooling the turbo air. Outside air (or water) passes over the tubes and between fins that are attached to the tubes. Heat is transferred from the hot tubes and fins to the cool outside air. This heats the outside air while cooling the tubes. This is how the turbo air is cooled down. Heat goes from the turbo air to the tubes to the outside air.

There are some useful equations which will help us understand the factors involved in transfering heat. These equations are good for any heat transfer problem, such as radiators and a/c condensers, not just intercoolers. After we look at these equations and see what's important and what's not, we can talk about what all this means\

Equation 1
The first equation describes the overall heat transfer that occurs.
Q = U x A x DTlm

Q is the amount of energy that is transferred.
U is called the heat transfer coefficient. It is a measure of how well the exchanger transfers heat. The bigger the number, the better the transfer.
A is the heat transfer area, or the surface area of the intercooler tubes and fins that is exposed to the outside air.
DTlm is called the log mean temperature difference. It is an indication of the "driving force", or the overall average difference in temperature between the hot and cold fluids. The equation for this is:

DTlm = (DT1-DT2) * F
ln(DT1/DT2)

where DT1 = turbo air temperature in - outside air temperature out
DT2 = turbo air temperature out - outside air temperature in
F = a correction factor, see below

Note:

The outside air that passes through the fins on the passenger side of the intercooler comes out hotter than the air passing through the fins on the drivers side of the intercooler. If you captured the air passing through all the fins and mixed it up, the temperature of this mix is the "outside air temperature out".

F is a correction factor that accounts for the fact that the cooling air coming out of the back of the intercooler is cooler on one side than the other.

To calculate this correction factor, calculate "P" and "R":

P = turbo air temp out - turbo air temp in
outside air temp in - turbo air temp in

R = outside air temp in - outside air temp out
turbo air temp out - turbo air temp in

Find P and R on "Fchart.jpg" (attached) and read F off the left hand side.

1-123.jpg

This overall heat transfer equation shows us how to get better intercooler performance. To get colder air out of the intercooler we need to transfer more heat, or make Q bigger in other words. To make Q bigger we have to make U, A, or DTlm bigger, so that when you multiply them all together you get a bigger number. More on that later

What About Mine?

What about my Intercooler?
Wondering if your intercooler is up to snuff? The big test: measure your intercooler outlet temperature! When you do this I got a K type thermocouple, the thin wire kind, slid it under the throttle body/up pipe hose and down into the center of the up pipe, and went for a drive. On an 80 to 85 deg day I got a WOT temperature of 140 deg, for a 55 to 60 deg approach. That tells me that I need more intercooler. If I can get the temperature down to 100 deg, the air density in the intake manifold goes up by 7%, so I should flow 7% more air and presumably make 7% more hp. On a 350 hp engine that is 25 hp increase. On a 450 hp engine that's a 30 hp increase. Damn, where's my check book…

Another check is pressure drop. Best way to check it is to find a pressure differential gauge, which has 2 lines instead of the single line a normal pressure gauge has. It checks the difference between the 2 spots it is hooked up to, as opposed to checking the difference in pressure between the spot it is hooked up to and atmospheric pressure, which is how a normal pressure gauge works.

Hook one line of the gauge to the turbo outlet and one to (preferably) the intercooler outlet. The turbo outlet/intercooler inlet pressure is easy, just tee into the wastegate supply line off the compressor housing. It would be nice to get the intercooler outlet pressure directly, but there's no convenient spot to hook up to. Hooking into the intake manifold (such as via the line to the boost gauge) is quite convenient, but gives the total pressure drop: intercooler + up pipe + throttle body. That'll give you a pretty good idea though.

Instead of the differential pressure gauge you could use 2 boost gauges, one in each spot, but then you have to worry about whether both gauges are calibrated the same, try to read both at the same time while driving fast, etc AND you may spring (ie, ruin) the gauge on the turbo outlet since when you close the throttle you get a big pressure spike that your normal boost gauge never sees.

If you find more than 4 or 5 psi difference between the intercooler inlet and intake manifold (and I'm just giving an educated guess here, you'd probably want to refer to one of the intercooler manufacturers for a better number) then I would suspect that a larger, lower pressure drop intercooler would offer you some gains.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso