Jhops' "Paint your wheels!!!!"

Jhop16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay to begin with... Your choice you can do it with or without the tires, i've done it both ways, much easier w/o tires IMO... but here's my writeup!!

Okay, first off head down to your local autoparts store and pickup the following...

DSCN1502.jpg

RustOleum High Performance Wheel paint x2
RustOleum High performance Clear Coat x2
RustOleum Auto Finish Primer x3
3M 180 Grit Sandpaper
3M 2000 Grit WetSandpaper..

Now begin by roughing up the Current Surface of your wheel with the 180 Grit

DSCN0956-1.jpg

Get down to as smooth as you can, NOTE: any kind of change in surface you can feel with ur finger will show up big time when u paint it!...

Now take go ahead and primer the wheel...

DSCN1427.jpg

I did 2 or 3 Coats of primer, lightly sanding the primer inbetween coats!...

Okay, now after primer has dried, go ahead and rough the surface up a little bit and begin with your first coat of paint! I did TWO coats of this paint...

DSCN1484.jpg

After paint has dried, Now move to your clear coat... begin by wet sanding the surface of your newly painted wheel... Start by clear coating the insides first, then clear the face to insure a smooth finish on the face of the wheel..

DSCN1488.jpg

This is me clear coating the insides First....
DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1496.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

I put 2 or 3 Coats of clear coat on Wetsanding inbetween every coat...

DSCN1481.jpg

Now My Suggestion would be to let them BAKE in the sun for a FEW DAYS!!! ... This is to help insure that the clear coat and paint will bake to the wheel and not chip and scratch so easily.....

For example, 4 hours after i finished i was able to scratch off some of the clear/and paint that was on the behind the outlip (where the tire covers) and now that i've let them sit in the sun for a few days i cannot even scratch the spot i scratched b4!....

This is the B4 and After ... Note: reason why i painted is becuz stock rims were chipping badly..

Before.
DSCN0597.jpg

After
DSCN1620.jpg

Last edited:

XVI1987

Reaction score
Pretty cool. Just putting my 2 pennies in though.. before we use HIGH BUILD primer, we sand it with 320 grit. You'd probably have to put a loot of spray bomb primer on there to hide the 180 grit scratches so if you use that, be careful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais