Kocking/Vibration While Driving

PSK787

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting a knocking coming from my front end when I drive. 2005 Cobalt coupe. I've replaced the CV axle assemblies on both driver and passenger side. That helped a good deal but it is still present. It is most noticeable around 30-40mph and is present driving straight or turning. Seems to be more from driver side but cannot tell for certain. It's a consistent knocking, you could keep a beat to it.

It's an obvious "thump" which I can feel through the floor/pedal. It is not a steering wheel shake.

I took the car to a mechanic to get an idea what else it might be other than the CV's. He looked at the wheels and noticed some cupping and suggested a rotate/balance/alignment before going further. I know that my tires are getting ready to be replaced but I suspect that there is more to it than that.

Any thoughts on what to check or take a look at? Bearings maybe?

Thanks in advance.

PSK787

Reaction score
Had the tires rotated and balanced and that did not seem to make any difference. Problem is pretty consistent starting at ~35-40 mph, worse at that speed and subsiding somewhat at highway speeds. More noticeable turning right (which makes me think it might be left side issue). Inspected all the suspension parts on the drivers side this weekend but couldn't visually see anything that looked bad. Wheel itself seems tight, I couldn't get any play in it when I tried wiggling the wheel when it was jacked up.

I have a service appointment with my local dealer this weekend for the steering column recall. I am going to ask them to see if they can diagnose what it might be and then determine if I can fix it myself or need a shop to do the work.

Donald Sharpe

Reaction score
Most of these cars have this problem. Mine has 50k, and it's been doing this since 35k. New tires, brakes, rotors. Nothing has changed. GM should have done a recall on these things. It's ridiculous. I have been searching and have yet to find a definitive answer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson