Looking at buying a Cobalt

Sonders

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I've been thinking about buying a used Cobalt to commute to work in. Looking at 06-07' models mainly. Was wondering if there is anything specific I need to look for when I'm checking one out. Common problems? I know of the ignition recall; but not much else. I've always been a GM owner and recently got a job thats a bit of a drive so needing a cheap car that will get good mileage and the Cobalt seems to fit that. I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments you all may have. Thanks!

Sonders

Reaction score
I agree with ya there clflorida they do suck, especially when you're by yourself. I have an 03' Grand Am at the moment, but looking to squeeze a little bit better gas mileage out of a daily driver for work.

clflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cobalt is good on mpg. When you find one kick its ass on the highway and take it to a mechanic you trust(if youre not a mechanic). If the owner is scared to take it to a mechanic...well.

Id sell you mine if you live anywhere near AR(ignore my florida name).

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check that it got the power steering motor recall & fuel pump recall (if applicable for the year you are looking for)

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to get an 07 and up(little more hp, and motors are hard come by for 05-06). Listen for timing chain rattle. Power windows ONLY(unless its so cheap you can't resist). Dark (the black) colored interior, the lite colors stain, with water even. Make sure it has cruise, and hopefully a key fob that works. Shot for the alloy wheels, the steel ones bend easy. And enjoy the low cost of ownership, the cobalt is really easy on the wallet. And common problems are easy to repair your self. Almost every thing can be done by the DYI. Check with dealer to make sure recalls are done. Drive it tell the wheels fall off. Consider an '05 and up Saturn Ion if you need trunk space. Cobalt has space, but the opening in difficult to get laundry basket in.

hood $89
headlight $49
bumper cover $44
fenders $29
radiator $79
condenser $69
used transmission 100 (or less)
used motor 350 (or less) (05-06 are running 500 and up)
clutch 180
lower control arm bushings 10
sway bar links 19
sway bar bushing 5

Sonders

Reaction score
Great info guys keep it coming. Of course the ones I've looked at have both been 06' models. Haven't found an 07' cheap that doesn't already have a bunch of miles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson