Looking for new tires

coethecoe

Reaction score
I've finally got my hands on a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and I couldn't be more excited! The car has been in my garage for about 3 to 4 years, it was my dad's, but now I've decided to resurrect it, although it's gonna cost me a decent amount. It's worth it, though. I'll be driving around the city with it and a lot on the highway. I'm a little tight on money, and I'd like to not spend more than $300-$400. Second hand tires are also an option. My neighbor's a mechanic and told me about this website, and I've discovered this article http://holmestire.com/best-all-season-tires/, but I don't find it trustworthy and I don't want to buy something and then regret my decision. What are your thoughts?

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Nokian Entrye on my for the summer tires 195-65-15 picked them up for about $55 each and mounted myself. After about 27,000 miles I can still see the 7 on the nokian tire wear marks, the number starts at 8 (mm)(original tread depth about 9.5mm and go down to 2, with a rain drop between 3 and 4 indicated wet traction is reduced. So about 2.5mm in 27,000 miles and I have 5 more to go till 2mm so another 54,000 miles or so.

There is a Entrye 2.0 out so the first version are pretty cheap if you can find them.

I have Nokian WRG3's on my daughter 2010 same size, I went with these because I don't want to change them out for the winter. There are down to a 4-6 after 35,000 miles last time I rotated them. If not for the cost I'd run these on everything I own.

coethecoe

Reaction score
Hmm, 35k miles is great to hear, though. I'm not driving that much either. So probably they will last me a long time. Thanks for the suggestions, I might try to find WRG3s in my country.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to put WRG3 on my Cobalt last fall, I generally only buy 2 tires at a time. Had them on for about 2 weeks when my daughter bumped a curb and pinched the side wall, so moved them to her Cobalt. Due to $$ I went to Entryes instead, then got lucky and found a used set of Hancook Ipikes on cobalt rims for $125 for winter use.

I've used 2 Nokian WRG2 on my cobalt and got about somewhere around 55,000 miles, the G3 are supposed to last longer. Had a set of 4 on another car that happened into when looking for 15" rims just happened to have a set of almost new tires. Never heard of Nokian till then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais