Low Oil pressure

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
So im getting a reading of about 2-3 psi oil pressure at idle after warm up to the cyl head. and under WOT runs I burn a little bit of oil...tinted blue smoke. Its not a constant burning, oil level is ok, oil is a lil dark, but changed not too long back. The bad, after changing the oil, i ran 20 laps in one night in 95* weather and then drove 600 miles the next few days after that and then its been a few weeks.

discuss what the problem is

bryson87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked for any leaks at all? any oil under the car once you park it? im not great with oil leaks... possibly a ring burnt out?

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
have you checked for any leaks at all? any oil under the car once you park it? im not great with oil leaks... possibly a ring burnt out?
no oil under car at all, freshly pressure washed driveway too haha, and nothing, ive let it run while under and around it and nothing

im thinking 1 of 3 things
1-oil needs replacing-ran it too hard too hot at the track and its bad
2-valve seals, when i replaced the head i got one from a guy who left it off the car for a while and vavle seals may not be good anymore
3-piston rings

if its the oil im changing it tomorrow
if its the head/valve seals, i talked with b-low from slowbow in florida and once i sell my motorcycle im going to have him port, polish, and build the head and then reinstall with my cams, arp headstuds, and cometic head gasket...along with a new intake mani and ported tb :)
if its the pistons im also going to pull the engine and replace rods and pistons and rings and hone the cyl...

anything im missing? anything that is more likely then something else?

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

wrkin on it hahahha

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be alot of things. have you had a leak down test done or you performed one. if you pull your intake is there oil in there or just pull your valve cover breather line. check for any external leaks. there's alot of info thats missing and hotlapping in that kinda weather isn't good for any car. have you pulled your valve cover to see if anything is wrong or any gunk is in there?

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
nothing in the breather line or intake, valve cover no, compression test or leak down no

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya a good rule to follow is do the cheap things first. that way if one of them fixes the problem you've spent the least amount of money :)

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
yup :)

after this its compression test time cause i have the tester hahaha

then pull the valve cover

then find a leak down tester

either way the head and all components are gettign worked on when i get my bike sold, so that will be solved

i think its a combo of worked over oil and not perfect valve seals...

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya most likely. if i'm not mistaken hot lapping your car will cause your oil to thin out at those temperatures which could cause your low oil pressure at the start but of all the vehicles i've done oil changes on at work alot of them start off with low oil pressure and then take a few seconds to build it up then its fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais