LT rear drum brakes 16" 5 lug

corona685

Reaction score
I just changed my rear brakes for the first time since ive owned my car. i am about to go get my 4th set of drums and pads in the past 2 weeks because they viberate and sound very bad under braking. As if the drums are warped. I replaced my fronts a few months ago and havent had any problems up there. The rear shocks are about a month old. Also im using CarQuest drums and pads. Any info would help out a lot i leave at the end of the week to go on vacation and would really like to have them working properly on my 900 mile road trip. Thanks!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You say it's the first rear drum change on the car but the 4th set of drums, bit confusing.

I had 90k on my LT with the stock rear drums and pads.

corona685

Reaction score
Sorry 2 weeks ago i did them for the first time and have had nothing but problems with them since then and im about to change them for the 4th time within 2 weeks. stock ones lasted 103,000 miles.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Viberations under braking are 30-45mph i feel it lightly and anything over 45 it viberates badly.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it a braking pulse or could your wheels need balanced?

corona685

Reaction score
its only under braking. i had the tires balanced about 2,000 miles ago. i didnt have any problems untill i did the rear drums. And id rather do it my self everywhere around here is about $275-325.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't blame you.

Sure it's the rears? did you install new disks in the front?

corona685

Reaction score
Im sure that its the rear. The fronts are in great shape not that old and the viberation has changed with each brake job of the rear. When the rears are new there great for a day or two then start viberating. Do you know of a good howto with a good written explanation on how to do it and maybe some pictures to make sure im taking off the right spring or self adjusters the right way. Im very mechanically inclined and have read a few websites on how to do it and they all say the same thing and ive done it that way but I am having HUGE issues with them and im worried cause I have a 900 mile road trip friday and want to makesure there all good before I leave.

Djcyphe

Reaction score
Bad wheel bearings

Shake down your rear wheels before taking the lugs off. The wheel bearings can cause the drum to go out of round quick. I turned mine twice before replacing bearing on right side. Same symptoms as you pulsating and noise. Found bearings online for 60 apiece.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Ohh yeah mic your drums before you put them on in at least six spots. After you replace the bearing. Get a new drum. Mic it six ways. If its out of round don't even waste your time putting it on. Use soapy water and paper towel to get all of the sticky gunk off it before installing. Don't use brake spray or rags. The small rag particles will scratch shoes and drum. Use paper towels. And always sand surface of shoes before installing drums. Lube backing plate. And brake spray clean after sanding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson