More Questions

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time I'm wondering about cams and injectors. I have quite a bit of cash saved up and I'm trying to do the following mods to my 08 cobalt ls.

K&N intake
Tsudo catback exhaust
ZZP headers/catless downpipe
ZZP Injectors
Comp Cams
Trifecta Tune

Now question time. Is this a good order to make the mods in? At what point will I need new injectors, and what size? Can I run my car with those mods untuned while I wait for the tune to come in?

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it wont run the same with cams in it unless you get a tune right after. the bigger the cam then the more it will push up letting more fuel in and the further down it will push to close off that area for the fuel. just make sure n get a tune or else your car will not like you for running it like that for a while.

well thats just what i know from putting oversized cams in a full size truck. prolly different with a car so correct me if im wrong.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why do you want cams? if you've got quite a bit of money saved up, spend it on a supercharged build. putting cams and injectors on a 2.2 N/A is pretty much pointless. and there's absolutely NO point to put in bigger injectors unless you go F/I or put cams in, but i highly suggest not putting cams in it, save the money and the headache. get the bad-mab header. it's cheaper and the same quality product, if not better. 2.5" catted downpipe would be good. i have one and it's great.

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want cams because I want the maximum hp potential out of my car, but I'd like to stay N/A for now. Cams don't give an increase in power combined with the other mods?

I shall look into this header you speak of.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly, the install of cams is going to be like 1.5k, the horsepower gain out of it is going to be less than 10, not to metion only about 5hp to the wheels. which would be completely unnoticeable.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

but then you're also going to need to buy new valve springs, possibly rods and pistons just so those cams don't blow the motor because of the different timing and tuning. it's not worth the hassle man. you're young so you want to go fast, i get it. but save your money for F/I. and fyi, supercharging your car is going to be a lot easier than putting cams in, probably around the same price too

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I went and talked to a local mechanic, cams are kind've off my mind now lols....thanks guys. So...after all the aforementioned mods would my car be ready for FI? How do I choose between SC and TC?

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you choose by deciding how much money you want to throw into it. technically if you do zzp's set up for either one, the TC is cheaper. but keeping in mind you're also going to have to get a new clutch right away, and also you're going to need to upgrade the internals sometime soon after also. me, i'm going SC sooner or later. it's easier to install anyways. you're set up is a prep for FI. just remember, when you get your downpipe, get the "extra bung for wideband", because either way, you're going to need it. also get the 5 dollar bung plug for it until you actually need it.

08Sedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an automatic so I guess that brings another question...how much can it handle? What can I do to strengthen it?

What is this "extra bung"?

Internals is what I didn't want to get into. That's why I was trying to get the most out of N/A...are there any other mods y'all can suggest other than what I have listed?

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't think you need a new clutch if you're an automatic. the bung, is where the 02 sensors go into. the "extra bung" is having one extra for a wideband o2 sensor. now, you're going to have to make sure before you buy your downpipe, if your new header either comes with an 02 bung in it or not. the bad-mab header comes with an 02 sensor bung already, so that leaves you with just 1 extra bung to buy when you get your downpipe. i'll explain a lot more when i get home from work, that is if nobody says anything in the mean time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson