motor swap ideas

jmelton327

Reaction score
Ok I bought a 08 cobalt for cheap since the timing chain broke and this guy took out a piston and needless to say there are various parts here an there. Some parts are even for a diesel engine lol either way I started to put it all back together one problem has led to another....WELL I have decided to just drop another motor in the thing and BE DONE, with that said it has some after market performance exhuast and a decent cold air intake and it's a SS MODEL but doesn't have the 2.0L just the regular 2.2 it is a 5 speed manual which I'm sure a clutch will be replaced as well so with this said I have noooo idea what im geting myself into all I was ever told "if u add a 2.0L turbo/supercharger then u will need to also upgrade the transmission" . Well that is my knowledge with the cobalt with this said I have seen many diff 2.2l alot are 2009 cobalt and idk if this is all interchangeable. Thank you for any advise

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2008 came with 3 different motors, the 2.2L L61, 2.4L LE5, and 2.0L LNF. If it's actually an SS then it came with a 2.0L Turbo motor, if it's got a 2.2L then it's an LS or LT. The 2009-2010 2.2L is entirely incompatable with any of those three motors that might be in your car.

What does the emissions sticker on the underside of the hood say your car has? What about the valve cover?

jmelton327

Reaction score
Good question I'm not near the car today so I will have to check that. I am looking everywere for a decent 07-08 2.2l I'm not going to get any other engine from my understanding the wiring harness will need to be changed to a degree and I'm sure a 2.4l will need some tweaking so I'm just going to go original. I did find a 2.2l for 750 bucks with low miles and a 90 day warranty making sure they ship to residential. Everyone else around here wants to much for a non tested junkyard motor and of course no warranty so I will have to get it online once I get another motor I plan to build the old one I take out but that's another thread for another time tyvm for answering my 2009 2.2l question it sucks u can't just drop it in those motors seem to be a dime a dozen and super cheap

And as far as emissions I'm in North Carolina if that helps u any

jmelton327

Reaction score
Here is the emissions sticker had someone take a picture for me

Attachments

• 20150412_175122.jpg
    20150412_175122.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8

jmelton327

Reaction score
The guy that sold it to me bought it brand new and swears it's an SS which in no way was my deciding factor to buy the car but he was letting me know I cannot fine SS anywere or any badge for that matter so I have no clue he hasn't steered me wrong before so I took his word for it but his knowledge of cars is useless so he could of just been told by the guy at chevy trying to make it sound better than what it was also talking about engines I found this list of interchangeable motors for the 08 2.2l

Interchange
COBALT 07-08 2.2L (VIN F, 8th digit, opt L61), w/o AIR
check valve; exhaust manifold is not
drilled & tapped for AIR check valve
HHR 07 2.2L (VIN D, 8th digit, opt L61), exhaust
manifold is not drilled & tapped for AIR
check valve
MALIBU 07 2.2L (VIN F, 8th digit, opt L61), exhaust
manifold is not drilled and tapped for AIR
valve
MALIBU 08 classic style (emblem in grille), 2.2L
(VIN F, 8th digit, opt L61), exhaust
manifold is not drilled and tapped for AIR
valve
G5 07-08 2.2L (VIN F, 8th digit, opt L61), w/o AIR
ION 07 2.2L (VIN F, 8th digit, opt L61), w/o AIR

jmelton327

Reaction score
Also noticed there are 2 ways to put on the right chain guider....thought this was odd mine is like the first picture but I'm going to try it the other way to see if it makes a difference

Attachments

• 500x500.jpg
    500x500.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 5
  • $(KGrHqFHJBMFBWFogSKOBQ)kVFH,gQ~~60_35.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJBMFBWFogSKOBQ)kVFH,gQ~~60_35.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you which way is correct. It almost looks interchangeable.

jmelton327

Reaction score
Yea I agree it's very odd lol either way I'll try it the other way out of desperation if that doesn't work oh well I'll pull it and throw another one in its place and keep that one to the side to rebuild and sell or rebuild with performance in mind hmmmm lol

Mlsupel08cobaltLT

Reaction score
What other motors can fit in my 2008 Chevy cobalt 4 door lt I want it to be faster and have no clue what to do just want a turbo or supercharger is it easy to put a as motor in a 2008 cobalt that automatic and switch the trans out need help please message me with what I would have to do for me to have a supercharger or turbo in my 2008 cobalt 4 door lt automatic I want it to be manual though

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup