Need Advice on New Car Sound System

ChevyAllDay

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ll get straight to it. I’m doing my research and putting together an ideal system for my car. I am looking for comments, opinions, and feedback on the set up, products I selected, ratings (ohms, RMS, peak power etc.), how it will affect my car’s electrical system, and anything else I might need to know. Thanks.

Car: 2007 Chevy Cobalt, 2.2Liter LT, 2 door

I already have Kenwood Excelon component speakers and a head unit.
Subs: 2 Alpine SWR-12D2
Amp: Hifonics Brutus BRZ 2100.1D (mainly because it’s really strong for a good price)
Capacitor: Fosgate RFC2D
Sound dampening material: NVX SDTK20

I was hoping someone could recommend a good ported enclosure? Also, if you think I'll need an extra battery or if the alternator won't be strong enough?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt really trust NVX sound dampening. and im assuming u plan on running it at 1ohm? if so ull need the D4 subs not the D2. lastly if you are running the amp at 1 ohm you will need an upgraded AGM battery at 2 ohms its a good idea but not as critical

ChevyAllDay

Reaction score
A few people have told me that I will need the D4 subs, so if I get two D4s and use the same amp, how much power would be sent to each? I know its a rookie question, but I'm still a rookie in this field. Also, what's your opinion on capacitors?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):
4 ohms: 700 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 1400 watts x 1 chan.
1 ohm: 2100 watts x 1 chan.

so if u run it at 1 ohm each sub will get 1050w. the subs are rated at 1000 apeice and u probably wont get the full 2100 from the amp anyway but on the off chance they really can handle the extra 50w. at 2 ohms ud be giving each sub 700w

ChevyAllDay

Reaction score
Ok thanks. In terms of the electrical system, I'm looking at getting a big 3 upgrade, a kinetic or optima battery, and a 5 farad cap. Do you think that would be sufficient?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya cap may or may not do anything sorta depends on the battery. Id look at spending more money on the batt if need bx vs getting a cheaper batt and cap. Sounds like u werent planning on doing that but just saying. Also the cobalt stock wiring is pretty nice. Big 3 will help but you want to add onto the stock wiring not replace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie