New Cobalt Owner in Alaska

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by AKcobalt, Jun 6, 2012.

1. AKcobalt

AKcobalt Junior Member

Well I havent physically seen my car yet my wife bought it for me while I am deployed. Its an 06 Cobalt LS Coupe. I look forward to learning a lot about these cars and transforming this one into something special.

2. wardzach2007

wardzach2007 Super Moderator Staff Member

Where you deployed at?

BTW Welcome! What plans do you have for the car?

3. AKcobalt

AKcobalt Junior Member

Im on my easiest of deployments. Im in Camp Buehring Kuwait. I am trying to decide on which direction I want to go with the car. Either keep it mild and just keep it NA or go force induction. Its going to be a commuter car while im in alaska since I drive about 40 miles to work.

4. wardzach2007

wardzach2007 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ah, gotcha. If it's going to be a commuter I would keep it mild but that's just me. You should get a cheap project car. That's what I'm aiming for. lol

5. AKcobalt

AKcobalt Junior Member

Im thinking about an AEM CAI, the 2.4L intake manifold and TB, full exhaust, and a tune of course. I know it wont be the fastest car around but should put a little bit more life into her. Also upgrade the front rotors and pads, lowering springs, rims, and some sway bars and strut brace. Once I get out of alaska I think I will TC it. Does this sound like a good direction or would you suggest a different route?

6. YelloEye

YelloEye Super Moderator Staff Member

Strut brace is useless in these cars unless you're just doing it for looks, the firewall is right there next to the towers. Also can't run one with a turbo unless you do some neato fabrication.

The rest if you're list sounds great though. My 2.2 had those same mods and was a lot of fun to drive. Except for the throttle body, not sure that's gonna gain you much.

7. AKcobalt

AKcobalt Junior Member

If the strut brace is useless then i will save my money just trying to improve the suspension not too big on looks under the hood just performance.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Did you ever dyno your car when it was setup that way? If so what would I be looking at for numbers? Also thinking about porting and polishing the head and maybe some stage 1 cams dont want just bolt ons that will make me feel like a ricer and I dont want that.

8. Florida 76

Florida 76 Junior Member

hello

9. AKcobalt

AKcobalt Junior Member

Hello. What part of Florida are you from? Im originally from the Bradenton/Sarasota area.

10. Florida 76

Florida 76 Junior Member

Tampa florida