New (to me) 2005 - what are my radio options?

bjaspud

Reaction score
I just bought 2005 Cobalt LS. The car has what appears to be a 'base' radio. The radio says 'mp3' on the face.

1) is this the cheap factory radio?

2) front speakers don't work. both sides are out. rears work. any trouble shooting suggestions?

3) is there a better OEM radio that I can swap in that will give me an i-pod jack?

4) I've been trolling the threads for awhile. Am I correct that 2009 and newer OEM radios need a code to work?

What is my most cost effective solution for a better radio?

Thanks, Spud

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes

check speakers

no

all radios would. but a 09 radio WILL NOT work in your 05

welcome to the forum

Rmoore006

Reaction score
I have the stock radio from my '10 laying around. It has an auxiliary input on the front, as well as a USB. I do not know if it will work with your 05, but I am sure that someone else on here would know for certain. If you are interested just let me know.

bjaspud

Reaction score
New question - can someone describe to me what is different between the OEM 'pioneer' radio and the base radio in my car?

What would I get if I yanked what I have and upgraded to the premium factory system that was offered in 2005 / 2006? I have to assume it would be all plug and play, correct?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** TO THE NO.

as far as the radio the only difference is the pioneer radio has line level output and the base radio has high level output

bjaspud

Reaction score
emperorjj1 - thanks for the reply. You need to be a bit patient with me here. I'm kinda like the slow kid in the class when it comes to audio.

What is the the significance of 'line level output'?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
low level. basiclly rca output power wise to go to the external amp vs the internal amp in the other one

base is high pioneer is low

UncleDave

Reaction score
Before disconnecting or taking the radio out. Check that you have the CODE to get it working again. Standard Anti Theft Protection.

Words to not always mean the same thing. Low Level to me means Microphone level.
Line Level is about a volt to drive a Power Amp.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???

as far as a car stereo is concerned line level is the lower voltage used to drive an amplifer. This signal alone isnt large enough to drive speakers by itself (from .02 to the 5v found in higher end aftermarket stereos) high level means it has an internal amplifier and the stereo itself drives the speakers without any external amplifier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson