Oil Drain Plug Question...

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:rofl: somebody round yours off?

I had a GM Tech round one of my exhaust nuts, that was a blast to cut off. Impacts are for getting bolts and nuts off, not putting them back on. I don't even own an impact gun, if my 25" breaker bar can't do it then the thing is getting cut off.
image_14234.jpg

Last edited:

ramon

Reaction score
Who uses an impact wrench to tighten up these bolts????

WHATTT? You kidding me? :wtf2::greenchainsaw:

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Out of curiosity, why would you do that?

I just did the GF's Nissan Murano oil change and I used a calibrated, Snap-on Torque wrench to tighten the drain plug to the book value of 25 Lb-Ft. Not necessary, but it was all there and accessible, so why not! :favorites13:

k

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah so I was going to change the oil today and before I could even get started I noticed that drain plug has been semi-stripped and and I couldn't for the life of me unscrew it by hand. I tried 3 times and decided that it be best to just stop while I'm ahead.

I'm behind annoyed right now. Looks like I'm just going to do my matience on my car from now on no matter how tired or busy I am. (Not lazy :p )

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

:rofl: somebody round yours off?

I had a GM Tech round one of my exhaust nuts, that was a blast to cut off. Impacts are for getting bolts and nuts off, not putting them back on. I don't even own an impact gun, if my 25" breaker bar can't do it then the thing is getting cut off.
image_14234.jpg

WHATTT? You kidding me? :wtf2::greenchainsaw:

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Out of curiosity, why would you do that?

I just did the GF's Nissan Murano oil change and I used a calibrated, Snap-on Torque wrench to tighten the drain plug to the book value of 25 Lb-Ft. Not necessary, but it was all there and accessible, so why not! :favorites13:

k

So what would you all recommend the first thing I should do? I may just take it back to that place for one last oil change and see if they can take it off and act like I didn't try to do it myself. I'll just ask them to replace the drain plug and request NO GUNS!

ramon

Reaction score
Well, start by buying a new drain plug. Either new or from J/Y.

If it's really badly stripped and tight, I would suggest getting a NUT welded on it.

If the weld job is done right, I would start with 1/2" pry bar ans 6 point socket as pictured. If that fails, You can use impact gun on low setting first.

Problem is, your're gonna need a place to drain the oil. Using an impact gun, may unscrew too fast and you'll get oil everywhere. Don't be trigger happy, start slow.

Depending on how bad it's stripped and tight, a Vise grip with a pipe extension may do the trick.

There's a few suggestions for now. Just give yourself time, space and tools. Don't rush it.

You can have a muffler shop weld a nut on for you and you can do the rest. Or a mechanic shop with welder and they can drian for you.

k

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd take it back to the Jiffy Lube you went to last and tell them to replace and fix it. Pay for nothing, not even the oil they're going to have to replace because this is their fault and problem. Take it up to the General Manager if needed, those guys hate bad publicity.

If that doesn't work just buy a new one and get the new one off by cutting a slot into it or as mentioned above by ramon.

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've never needed more than a 3/8 ratchet & shallow socket to put the drain plug off & on :eek: but i finally got a torque wrench for those things haha

i saw a funny youtube video of a guy using an impact to re-install a rear diff cover... he sheared off one of them lol!

ramon

Reaction score
i've never needed more than a 3/8 ratchet & shallow socket to put the drain plug off & on :eek: but i finally got a torque wrench for those things haha

i saw a funny youtube video of a guy using an impact to re-install a rear diff cover... he sheared off one of them lol!

I'd love to see that. Stupid is as stupid does. :idiot: (the you tube video that is)

k

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

I'd take it back to the Jiffy Lube you went to last and tell them to replace and fix it. Pay for nothing, not even the oil they're going to have to replace because this is their fault and problem. Take it up to the General Manager if needed, those guys hate bad publicity.

If that doesn't work just buy a new one and get the new one off by cutting a slot into it or as mentioned above by ramon.

I was going to suggest that, but I assumed he did that or it's too late and is going to another shop. Certainly, take it back to the numbskull who stripped it in the first place.

r

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais