Overheating/Leaking/Heater Core?

Ashley774

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Cobalt and have had issues for the last couple weeks that I ignored. Last night while driving, the coolant temperature went up to 240 degrees. I know nothinggg about cars, but that is way hotter than it has ever been. Also something is leaking onto my passenger side floor. Not just a small leak, but probably a half inch worth of liquid all over the carpet. Someone suggested it may be the heater core, and not to drive it at all. But another person told me it could just be water leaking inside from running the a/c and that it is no big deal. I know I should take it to get looked at, but didn't know how much monetarily something like this would cost. And since its Sunday I'd have to wait until tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should drive it today or not. Any suggestions?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
the overheating: outside temps? are you beating on it alot ? constant stoping in traffic in hot weather can cause these temps. also the fans on the L61 dont turn on until about that.

the water: the a/c evaporator is probably busted. also check around the steering column under the steering wheel, the hole in the fire wall that leads the column to the engine bay check to see if its secure, i ran my wideband through that hole and when i checked it it was open...

Ashley774

Reaction score
Its been in the high 80s all week, and I drive in town a lot, which is pretty stop and go. So maybe that explains why it is so hot. There is also a whooshing liquid sound when i first start driving.

Thanks! I'll check the thingy around the steering column.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
whooshings liquid should be the sounds of the IC pump "whirling" means its starting to pump me thinks add some water to the dexcool/water mix. should cool things down a bit but in the winter if it gets below freezing dont forget to add antifreeze

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup