Pontiac g5 gt

zachary.martin.311

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2008 Pontiac g5 gt 2.4L and I was told that in order to turbo charge it I need to upgrade my pistons. Which ones/size would I look for and what all would I need to change in my engine to get a turbo to run well? Just my pistons or other things as well

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! You don't need to change out your pistons unless you plan on going crazy with boost level. Hahn used to sell a bolt-on kit for the 2.4 that IIRC would push 8psi through a Garrett Disco Potato, netted around 200hp I think.

zachary.martin.311

Reaction score
Let's say I did want to go higher in the boost and also throw in a blow off valve. What would need for all that? I love my car but it doesn't push the horsepower or sound I want it to. I know nothing about engines but have the money to put I to my car

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rods will be the first thing to go, nitrous testing snapped the 2.2 ones at 250 HP. I'm not sure if the 2.4 shares the same rods though.

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time or money modifying the 2.4l. Sell the G5 and buy 2008 and up Cobalt SS with the turbo motor already in it. When you figure in the cost of modifying the motor, tuning, car down time, and breaking stuff, you'll understand my reasoning. If you want to throw your money away, by all means. But I have yet to see any 2.2l or 2.4l modified last long enough to make sense of even trying it.

These people will be more then happy to take your money

https://www.zzperformance.com/

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I vote LSJ. They're easier to deal with and you don't have to worry about coking the valves. Fueling is easier too since it's port fueled instead of DI.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy my turboed cobalt. It will give u all the power u need plus more. It'd an LSJ. Easy to deal with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais