Question about when to get oil changed

Ashley2285

Reaction score
Hello!

So my last car did not have this Oil Life monitor, so I just got the oil changed every 3k miles. But now apparently with the Oil Life monitor, it will let me know when I need an oil change? Does anyone know at what percentage this will be? I don't want to get an oil change unless I really need it because it cost me over $100 last time.

Thanks!

-Ashley

RedDead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how in the world did it cost 100 bucks for an oil change???
i would still follow the 3k or 3 months rule....it really is just a rule of thumb

Spacey_stacey75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the same question and was told this:
Follow the 3k mile rule! That monitor is there for the motor, and the oil will still lubricate based on the monitor, but the oil will still get dirty and sludgy within the 3k, so follow the rule.
And I suggest not going back where ever you got it done, cause that is a rediculous price for an oil change. They must have done something else too.

Beamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not drive my balt much, but by the time my oil life gets to 60% range the oil has been used in the 3-4 month range and I change it than. Lately I have been waiting 5 months because I maybe put 30 miles a week on the car. But as I said, when it was driven daily I'd change it at 65%.

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newer oils can and will last a lot longer than 3k. And yeah, if it cost you $100 to change your oil... you're doing it wrong. :lol:

Your car will be perfectly fine if you go 5 or 6k miles before changing it. It'd be better not to wait until 0%... but 25% or so will be fine. GM put the oil meter there for a reason. If you are using Mobil 1 5W30 like recommended... you've got nothing to worry about, really... depending on driving style.

arman14

DiegoO
Reaction score
I always dit it at 25% and you can do the oil change yourself for under $25.

Beamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got my stuff the other day to change it, I have to use full syn. so 7qrts of modil 1 5w-30 and a bosch filter cost me $60 and change. I know the dealer charges almost $100 for a change because I had them do my first two when I first got the car, I think it was alittle over $40 when I used to take my Cobalt LS in for the change before trading. Either way, still saving almost $30 a change now.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais