Questions about rims, fitment and offsets.

Aredtear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I really have no clue what offsets mean.... could someone please explain it to me?

Like what I would like to do is put some 20's (yeah I know most people say it's kinda dumb to do but I wanna be different) Or what I was thinking maybe was 19's in the back but with a bigger width then the front. Suggestions on sizes and stuff would help..... The more I know the better. Thanx

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Offset is the distance from the center of the rim to where the holes for the lugs are. So say you have a rim with +42MM offset, then the lug holes are gonna be pushed 42MM away from the center of the rim.

If i remember correctly, a cobalt can handle anywhere from +32 to +45 offset.

and there is no point in getting a staggered set up our cars, unless your going for looks that is. because the cars are front wheel drive and your putting the wider tire in back..

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted this yesterday on .net:

Here is what I found for a working example
cc008.jpg

The front are 18x8.5 et30 rears 18x10 et25....which turns out to be +30 front and +25 rear

Reference for explanation about ET: Wheel Offset
above link said:
Another important thing is the wheel offset, which is the distance between the middle line of the centre of the wheel width and the mounting surface of where the wheel bolts to the hub on the vehicle. The offset is described by the term ET, which is from the German word 'Einpresstiefe' translated as 'insertion depth'. Most wheels have a positive offset which means the mounting surface is further outboard than the wheels centre. If you reduce the amount of positive ET on the wheel the the vehicles track is widened and vice versa if the ET number is reduced. Straying too far from the original offset can be detrimental as fouling to the suspension and bodywork can occur as well as excess strain on wheel bolts or studs

Cobaltpunk

Reaction score
How would 18X8 wheels work with 225/35/18 and a 3 inch drop? the three is from an LS cobalt. Would that rub?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais