Rear defrost inoperative

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't get my rear defrost to work. When I press the button I hear a click but the lights don't dim like they used to and the frost remains on the rear window no matter how long the rear defrost is on. I get a very faint glow from my led test probe in the rear window, I also get this faint glow at the under hood fuse. Any thoughts as to where to start checking?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its either lacking power or ground. Also I think the defrost is low temp. Have you checked the fuse first?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll test voltage on mine later today. But my lights don't dim when turned on and it works fine.

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuse is good, when I pull the fuse and test probe the contact to for the fuse I get a very faint light in the probe. I believe it isn't getting adequate power before the fuse (I'm checking at the big square 40a under the hood) I switched out relays and nothing.

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to go check, been having this problem for 2 years and I just now have time to mess with it. My headlights would dim know a split second and then the engine/alternator would react accordingly. Now I get nothing. 99% sure there is a bad connection or damaged wire but not sure where to look

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U know what. The redline did that crap. I replaced the power steering motor. Problem went away. Check the EPs fuse in the engine bay. Don't ask why it what does it have to do with it. I did not figure out how its connected. But something is up with that. I know the pscm plays a roll. The power steering motor was drawing power and overheating. I had no messages nor lose of power steering. I knew the fuse used to blow. On a cold night I pressed the rear defrost. Lights would dim for a second. Dash too.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Just a quick FYI. If you go into a che by dealer and complain you have steering issues. They replace the motor for free . Its a small wait time like 30-1hour. But free fresh motor.

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so there is no click heard from drivers seat.

I get 15.3v across the jump post and ground. I get 15.3v from fuse to ground. I get 13.2v across the rear window clips unhooked from the grid and I get 0v across the clips hooked up to the grid. I do have continuity from window clip to window clip so if I turn on the defrost I should at least have 1 active element but I have none.

Hope that all makes sense.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So it's supplying 13.2v at the contacts, but it's shorting somewhere when hooked up?

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can hardly power my led test probe across the rear contacts, I believe this to be an amperage supply issue. I think when I hook it up the grid absorbs the little power there is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson