Rear Speaker/ Read lid removal w/ PICS!!

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I cant take credit for the how-to, if its yours pm me will discuss it there.

What you will need:

New 6x9 speakers - I bought Infinity Kappas (I recommend an amp to power them too, sounds much better)

Wrench w/ socket set
Wire Cutters

Extras:
Foam Tape
Towels

Write this down before you start -- the speaker wire colors :
LR Speaker +brown / - yellow
RR Speaker +dk. blue / - lt. blue

1. First start by pulling down the seats, by using the release control in the trunk.

2.Once the seats are pulled down, you still see this Grey tab, pull it out using either a flathead screw driver or your hands.

035.jpg

3. Next you will pull the pastic back from where the seatbelt is. When you're about to pull out the lid, watch out for the tabs in red that hold it in place, I just gave the lid a bend to pull it out from the tabs.

036.jpg

4. If you have Headrest, pull up on this piece, its just held in with a metal clip.

037.jpg

5. Remove these two bolts, sorry can't remember the bolt size. The headrest should just slip out once the bolts are removed.

038.jpg

6. Once both sides are done, then pull the lid up and off, you may break a metal clip at
the rear by the window, but don't worry that's what the foam tape is for.

051.jpg

7. There will be 4 7mm bolts to remove, the back one closest to the window is a pain,
and yes the bolts are long :-/

040.jpg

8. Once unbolted and out, un-clip the blue piece, and cut it off with your wire cutters, re-strip the ends.

044.jpg

9. Place new speaker in and install wires into appropriate spots, bolt down. I used the same bolts that were originally there.

047.jpg

10. I placed towels in the back here, to help reduce rattle noise, you can also see the
new speakers freshly installed

050.jpg

11. If you get a broken metal clip like I did, it will look like this

052.jpg

12. I just covered with foam tape here and around where it was smooth, I
actually broke the other clip on the other side on purpose, made putting it back in easier. Your decision.

054.jpg

13. Reassemble

Last edited:

hymer741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow.. i've always wanted to know how to replace my rear speakers.

i never saw this on fail.net

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if this works for the 2010 model? (i found out the hard way that the door panels are different from previous years)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson