Service airbag

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was getting an intermittent Service airbag indicator on my DIC. Now, it comes on every time I start the car. I haven't dealt with anything to do with the SRS system nor have I come across anything during my vast amounts of time on multiple forums. (I am a member of 10+ cobalt and GM related forums.) I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with the SRS system or any info on typical complaints and fixes.

I am still under warranty still so I do have the option to lay it on the dealer. I really rather fix it myself then let them touch my car or have to deal with a long drawn out bullshit excuse of why they don't want to cover it under warranty and why the problem is my fault.

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the code for the SRS with a Tech 2 and it came up as a B0081. also throwing a evap code.

CFCobalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same issue...also noticed that the passsenger airbag always indicates off....even when someone is sitting in the seat.....just havent had time to take it to a stealership (warranty??....whats that??)

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
B0081 is Passenger Presence System, I'm looking up the diagnostic for 09 in my service books. You guys should invest in a set of books from CED.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I read the code for the SRS with a Tech 2 and it came up as a B0081. also throwing a evap code.
Was that a B0081 3A or 71?

3A indicates that the system cannot retrieve the expected ID from the PPS module.

71 indicates that the system has recieved invalid serial data from the PPS module indicating a short in either the B+ Voltage Ref, Serial data, or ground.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

For both of you: Do you still have your original passenger seats and is the little black plate that says pass airbag ON OFF still installed and connected?

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Intermittent usually indicates a bad connection somewhere, I'd be guessing the wires under the passenger seat myself.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

And unless you can find a wiring problem you're going to need a Tech2 to figure out what's going on. Tuner it sounds like you have access to one, might want to do a PPS rezero or PPS Setup if it's not a wiring problem.

Check your under seat connector and the connector behind the ON OFF indicator for passenger seat.

Last edited:

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have stock seats and never removed.. indicator in dash works.. maybe someone kicked the wires under the seat?

CFCobalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have stock seats and never removed.. indicator in dash works.. maybe someone kicked the wires under the seat?

this...

thanks for the info steve....ill start tracing the wire and see if i can find a problem...

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was getting an intermittent Service airbag indicator on my DIC. Now, it comes on every time I start the car. I haven't dealt with anything to do with the SRS system nor have I come across anything during my vast amounts of time on multiple forums. (I am a member of 10+ cobalt and GM related forums.) I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with the SRS system or any info on typical complaints and fixes.

I am still under warranty still so I do have the option to lay it on the dealer. I really rather fix it myself then let them touch my car or have to deal with a long drawn out bullshit excuse of why they don't want to cover it under warranty and why the problem is my fault.

ive had this problem too , turns out this is a very common problem with the cobalts , i didnt really wanna deal with my SRS syem because they can be touchy so i took it in to the dealership , they told me i need a new Passenger side seat belt switch harness kit , anyways i didnt get them to do the repair but the part itself is 184$ :boxed: without labour, my light comes on intermittent too mostly whenever some one gets in the passenger side and moves the seat belt switch wire , there is a kink close to the harness and im hoping i can find this wire and repair it , if not ill just end up ordering the whole passenger side seat belt wiring kit iguess , hope this helps you man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson