Service maintenance: Should I listen to oil change shop or dealer?

Allie7

Reaction score
I recently had an oil change at Oil Can Henry's. They printed a service maintenance schedule for my 2010 Chevy cobalt lt. They said I should get my transmission fluid changed. They do an evaporative flush and suck out the old fluid, then replace it=no filter change. The dealer says they WILL change the filter and that OCH's flush could damage my car. The dealer will drain 6 qts (of 12 of the fluid), then replace filter and missing 6 quarts. Who is right?
btw OCH's wants $130 where the dealer wants $180.

Also, OCH (oil can henry) recommends an engine flush since my engine oil looks burnt/charred/sludgy. However the dealer says the additives/chemicals can damage valve guides and that instead I should change my oil sooner 3x in a row and that should solve it. Who is right?

Thank you,
Allie

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to believe the dealership on both counts.

An evaporative flush sounds like they boil out the fluid, I don't like the sound of that.

For the oil I'd change it and get a sample to send off to Blackstone Labs for a test, they know oil really well.

damondlt

Reaction score
Listen to the dealer, if you have more than 80,000 on the car, and never changed the fluid, you could cause more damage than good.
Butter to just have dealer drain the 6 quarts, and replace.

Allie7

Reaction score
Thank you! Should I be concerned that the dealer will only drain 6 of the 12 quarts of transmission fluid?

damondlt

Reaction score
Yeah I let the dealer do it the way they want to .
I know everyone thinks a Trans is good without service for years and 50 or 100k But that's BS.

You really should do a transmission service once a year, or every 15-20k
If you have 95k on it , and never changed it before, than do what the dealer wants, or else your Trans will be shot if you do a full flush service.

Last edited:

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the manual on my cobalt auto, but my 03 Malibu that made it to 265,000 miles had lifetime tranny fuild unless under severe conditions, can't imagine a newer Cobalts wouldn't either. Check your manual. Daughter totaled the Malibu it but was still running strong, now she's driving a 2010 Cobalt.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson