Shake/vibration while driving.

Crystalsman18

Reaction score
I have an 08 Chevy Cobalt LT. Just had the sway bar link replaced due to a knocking noise when going over bumps in road. Now i'm having another issue, when my vehicle gets around 50 or 60 mph it starts to vibrate (can be felt in the front end and steering wheel). Then when I begin to brake the vibration gets significantly worse in the front end, steering wheel and brake pedal along with a knocking noise that can be heard (knocking noise sounds like it's synced with the shaking). The rotors are not causing the issue. Not sure if it's relevant, but there is a loud clicking noise in the front wheel when I make right turns. Please help! Any advice would be appreciated.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely warped rotor. possibly a wheel bearing also. maybe a ball joint

Kanix

Reaction score
Steering wheel shake/noise

Now for your noise/shake/vibration i think i know what it is and it has nothing to do w/ the brakes. yes it happens while braking.... i have the same issue when i hit atleast 50-60mph and then braking... well i found a video on youtube and it sounds alot like what i'm having issue w/. and this video is specificly for Cobalts. so hope this can help u out. and in the vid it says that it's like around $550 to replace it. just write me and let me know if this is the right sound/info u were looking for.

STEERING NOISE ON 06 COBALT - YouTube

if that doesn't work try this one...

If neither work then go onto youtube and type in "Steering Noise on 06 Cobalt" thats the title of the vid.

Donald Sharpe

Reaction score
Steering wheel shake/noise

Now for your noise/shake/vibration i think i know what it is and it has nothing to do w/ the brakes. yes it happens while braking.... i have the same issue when i hit atleast 50-60mph and then braking... well i found a video on youtube and it sounds alot like what i'm having issue w/. and this video is specificly for Cobalts. so hope this can help u out. and in the vid it says that it's like around $550 to replace it. just write me and let me know if this is the right sound/info u were looking for.

if that doesn't work try this one...

If neither work then go onto youtube and type in "Steering Noise on 06 Cobalt" thats the title of the vid.

This is the noise I get. HOWEVER, it doesn't explain what causes the vibration to begin with. When mine gets going, it's pretty scary. I think that the vibration is what wears out this gear.

When mine starts doing it, it sometimes feels like I'm "pushing it" just to go 40mph. I've seen all kinds of guesses on here, but I haven't found (yet) anyone to post the actual solution. I'm sure GM must know, but they aren't making the answers easy to find.

LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION TO MY DEATH RATTLE...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais