Should I buy this Cobalt

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this cobalt on craigslist for $1,000 with 134,XXX miles, and a new clutch. The only thing wrong with is the engine power reduced light comes on. The guy said it runs and drives fine until the light comes on, then it wont got over 10 mph. Is this worth buying? Here's the ad for the car: 2005 Chevy Cobalt - Red

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a yes and no. The engine power reduced can be something simple or something difficult. For 1000$ its really not a bad deal. 5 speed is a plus. I say go look at it. Pull codes. Most likely bank 1 o2 sensor is shot if he got catalytic converter checked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a yes and no. The engine power reduced can be something simple or something difficult. For 1000$ its really not a bad deal. 5 speed is a plus. I say go look at it. Pull codes. Most likely bank 1 o2 sensor is shot if he got catalytic converter checked.

I've read the simple things it could be are: Loose gas cap, dirty throttle body, corroded computer terminals, or dirty mass airflow sensor. I'm going to ask my boss about it at work today and see what he thinks too.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything it can be handled with some mechanic knowledge . Or with us guiding u. Best bet is to pull codes on the car.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I say figure in a new motor, of that plus the asking price is still under blue book take it and run. Otherwise you might be in over your head when you figure out what's wrong.

Sounds like a sensor to me though, should be an easy fix. Scan for codes and report back.

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone is going to look at it. The guy who is selling it said if the other guy doesn't buy it its mine.

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the car! I have it in my garage and when I try to start it it just cranks and if you leave the key on after trying to start it will keep trying to crank on and off. Any ideas whats going on with it?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignition switch is bad. There used to be a recall for key getting stuck in it. I think a new 1 is 30$ and programming it easy. Have to look at it. Other thing could be sticking solenoid on starter

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres some sketchy wiring on the car theres a toggle switch on the dash that I texted the guy about and he said it engages the ac clutch. so I'm thinking its a electrical problem. now when i try to start the car it doesn't crank, accessory doesn't work, and the third break light wont shut off.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Still wont crank and when I turn the key on it shows no gas and when we looked at it it said it had 1/2 tank, oil life ---%, Coolant -40 F, and Both trip A and B say ---.--- MI. Any Ideas whats wrong?

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Figured out the break lights staying on. The switch by the pedal came out of place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson