Speaker issues (not blown or wet)

Chevyjl92

Reaction score
2009 cobalt, stock radio, basic sound system-no tweeters or anything. I had door speaker issues before due to the infamous water issues, replaced them with cheap aftermarket ones which lasted maybe a year before they went back to cutting in/out, then stopping completely. I just went without door speakers for almost a year. I recently bought some decent aftermarket speakers, but when I hook them up, they don't work. I've tried wiggling wires/plugs, any thoughts on what this could be before I really tear into things? Thanks!

SideShow Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you the original owner ? If not the previous owner may have had an aftermarket sound system in there and put the factory unit back in before they sold it. You May have a loose connection behind the radio at the main connection, or even have some Bubba-ed connections where the wiring is butchered from a shade tree hack aftermarket stereo installation/removal.
If you still have the factory connector on the back of the radio, try wiggling and/or reseating it and checking for sound at the dead door speakers location.
If you still have no sound at the doors with known good speakers, your radio gave up the ghost.
The up side is that Crutchfield has inexpensive replacement head units and adaptor harnesses to to fit the factory plugs in a Cobalt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie